New General Manager of iSeries Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New General Manager of iSeries Announced

** This thread discusses the article: New General Manager of iSeries Announced **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: New General Manager of iSeries Announced0

** This thread discusses the article: New General Manager of iSeries Announced **
    Nice article but I want to contest one part of it. While I agree that "solid business logic principles" are no longer being used in system selection, and that hurts the AS/400iseries, in my smaller organizations I put the blame on upper management. I'm heading my second small IT department and have been hammered in both places by upper management that wants Windows. Not for solid business and IT reasoning, mind you, but because they have a friend or associate who only works with Windows or UNIX and tells them the AS/400 is "old, expensive technology". I can't say my experience represents the world, but if it's any indication, the iseries needs to be marketed to executives (i.e. airplane magazines?!). Lifetime cost of ownership studies enabled me to keep iseries in my first shop, but things could still go either way where I'm at now. It would be a shame to lose the AS/400 that way, but I'm not going to keep risking my neck and career defending a great box if IBM doesn't care to market it except as one obscure cog in their e-server lineup. I'm an AS/400 fan, not an idiot!

Comment

The buzz in the "iSeries" trade press is that there will be an announcement this year that will be big for the iSeries. Maybe a GUI? Bang! Frank Soltis (it was a users' group meeting, but I don't think it's any big secret) once said that his one big regret with OS/400 was that they didn't develop a native GUI for it. Maybe they're thinking about taking all that investment they put into OS/2 and port it over to accommodate some kind of native "overlay" to the AS/400 or OS/400. John Sears once hinted at development going on for graphical workstations, mouse and all, but that kind of went by the wayside. (Real programmers don't need no friggin' GUI's!) That would be something that could convince these execs, seems to me, at least some of them. ("Oh look, it's got pretty pictures and icons and wowee zowee and I don't need a PC on every desk anymore!") We can dream, yes??...

Comment

Alan, Well, GUI might have been BIG in 1984 when the Mac came out, but 19 years later it just doesn't have the same oomph. ;-) chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "alanpgmr" wrote in message news:6ae56d50.1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | The buzz in the "iSeries" trade press is that there will be an announcement this year that will be big for the iSeries. | | Maybe a GUI? Bang! Frank Soltis (it was a users' group meeting, but I don't think it's any big secret) once said that his one big regret with OS/400 was that they didn't develop a native GUI for it. | | Maybe they're thinking about taking all that investment they put into OS/2 and port it over to accommodate some kind of native "overlay" to the AS/400 or OS/400. John Sears once hinted at development going on for graphical workstations, mouse and all, but that kind of went by the wayside. (Real programmers don't need no friggin' GUI's!) | | That would be something that could convince these execs, seems to me, at least some of them. ("Oh look, it's got pretty pictures and icons and wowee zowee and I don't need a PC on every desk anymore!") | | We can dream, yes??...

Comment

alanpgmr wrote: > The buzz in the "iSeries" trade press is that there will be an > announcement this year that will be big for the iSeries. Well Alan, if I were to read between the lines, I'd say that there is going to be a big overhaul of the hardware along a new pricing scheme. I believe Bob Cozzi said the overhaul was the equal of when the System 38 became the 400. Other quotes regarding the discontinuance of Interactive CPW premium have been confusing and somewhat contradictory. The reality may lie somewhere in the middle - possibly only a few levels of Interactive CPW. Bill

Comment

Working...
          X