Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowling for Linux: Episode II

** This thread discusses the article: Bowling for Linux: Episode II **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Bowling for Linux: Episode II **

Bowling for Linux: Episode II

The following is from the Unix-Haters Handbook: ". . . . .companies like Sun, IBM, .... an DEC really don't want a unified version of Unix. If every Sun, IBM.... and DEC workstation runs the same software, then a company that has already made a $3 million commitment to Sun would have no reason to stay with Sun's product line - that mythical company could just as well go out and purchase a block of IBM or DEC workstations if one of those companies should offer a better price"

Comment

Since DEC has not been selling anything for a number of years, this is clearly an old and outdated opinion ...

Comment

Ah, that great tome, "The Unix-Haters Handbook"! An enjoyable read for all Unix fans! To quote from the Foreward: "A horrible system, except that all the other commercial offerings are even worse." But what has this to do with Linux? As has been noted, the book is almost a decade old. And as one review noted: "The shortcomings described here obviously exist, but in quite a few cases the problem has been fixed, or rendered irrelevant, by further development." Cheers! Hans

Comment

if SCO owns the functionality of UNIX then what about the settlement between AT&T and UC Berkley that turned BSD free of any licensing liability to the original Unix code base? What about the POSIX compatibility layer in OS/400? it is my opinion that if SCO succeeds with this lawsuit that the whole computer industry will be destroyed over petty gripes about who owns the ability to do anything with anything. Who will end up with the right to do accounting software for computers? will that software work with what you need to do in your business? This entire "IP" situation is a two edged sword. Even Sony and Disney Studios who back the Digital Rights Management version of IP use linux as the best of breed for their animation studios. What will happen when they can't use the free software they now use because they can't get it validated according to their own DRM system that they keep asking for?

Comment

The point is still valid: If you develop a solution using Linux on an iseries, what is to prevent you from moving that same solution to a cheaper Dell server, and getting rid of your iseries? Dave

Comment

If you're satisfied with a solution running on a cheap Dell machine and Linux, then why run it on a more expensive machine? On the other hand, there are often very good business reasons for running on more robust platforms, such as an iSeries, or pSeries, or zSeries, either on a Linux partition or on the native O/S. But if a lower-cost machine satisfies your requirements, you have to consider it. That's the way competition works in a free market. Of course, it really doesn't take much to justify more robust hardware. For example, for me personally, I've never had trouble with any of the IBM PC's I've owned over the years. But my current home workstation is a two year old non-IBM machine, and I've already had to replace the power supply and the video card. Cheers! Hans

Comment

Novell Claims Ownership of UNIX System V

Comment

I think the ability to run multiple and various operating systems is the key to the future of the iSeries. Companies obviously don't buy servers because of the operating system anymore. However, if you can reduce your operations footprint, you can save major dollars in personnel, complexity, and deliver an increased return on investment. Plus, it gives you better ability to scale your IT operation. Who runs a single operating system anymore anyway. Just in the Microsoft arena, most organizations have a mixed Windows 98, ME, 2000 environment already. Tom Stockwell

Comment

Just to nitpick: Running multiple and various operating systems is not unique to the iSeries - zSeries and pSeries machines also have that capability. Cheers! Hans

Comment

Working...
                    X