Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IMHO: Is Rochester Conspiring to Kill RPG Development?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMHO: Is Rochester Conspiring to Kill RPG Development?

** This thread discusses the article: IMHO: Is Rochester Conspiring to Kill RPG Development? **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: IMHO: Is Rochester Conspiring to Kill RPG Development? **

** This thread discusses the article: IMHO: Is Rochester Conspiring to Kill RPG Development? **
    I have been working more than 16 year with S/36, S38 and AS/400, the RPG and Cobol are my strongest skills. If IBM is not supporting the RPG, where is our next training target ? On this point I don't know how could I "add something" on my 16 years of experience instead of "replace". What I meant, if we go to WebSphere-Java, .net, etc, our experience on AS/400 doesn't add any value in our resume. We are already using a dead technology ? My confusion is very clear. Daniel Vitale IT Consultant

Comment

Like it or not, to BMI, the 400 is a step-young'n. I had a problem with REXX on a 400 project and contacted the REXX folks in Germany where I found out that on the 400 the REXX api was part of DB2 SO, I went to the DB2 folks and they had never heard of the 400. Don't hold your breath for 400/gui either. bobh

Comment

What I meant, if we go to WebSphere-Java, .net, etc, our experience on AS/400 doesn't add any value in our resume.
        On the contrary, IMHO. Applications aren't going to be switched to another platform overnight, and people who can bridge the gap will be hard to find and expensive. It's true - you have to keep evolving in this field, but things in the real world don't change as rapidly as it may seem if you listen to the IBM/Microsofts of the world. That doesn't mean you should ever get complacent in learning, though, unless you want to retire with a particular platform. Brian

Comment

That's so true, Brian. Whatever steps a company may make with Websphere/Java on the AS/400, they are not going to be done quickly, and the ability to integrate the existing with the new falls upon us because others on other plaforms are not willing to learn AS/400 specific technologies. But the premise of the thread is wrong, assuming that the question is a leading question. This question comes just after Toronto/Rochester did all that great work in ILE RPG which I haven't even looked at yet but have read about here, especially call integration with Java and free form RPG. One can argue that Java with AS/400 specific Java classes implementing record level I/O and compiled on the AS/400 has all the efficiency of RPG while developing in the cross platform language of choice, but one can also argue that the AS/400 specific language and technologies provide for superior business logic solutions. There's no reason that Java and RPG has to be mutually exclusive, in any event. RPG is not dead, new code is written everyday in it. The days of the AS/400 being sold with RPG source code ERP's as the most powerful, cost effective business solution available is apparently over, though, and I haven't seen that the statement is still true with Java replacing RPG. Ralph

Comment

I clicked on the link in this thread and read Bob Cozzi's IMHO, and of course I agree with him. I've written three similar IMHO's detailing a GUI interface that is a generalized, programmable form of what Bob describes that mrc did that IBM should add to the AS/400 green screen development environment. There's no reason it can't be done as DDS keywords and a generalized EXFMT interface. This is not to denigrate other efforts, web page interfaces, etc., but more powerful interfaces will win out in the marketplace. Ralph

Comment

Working...
            X