ITAA's Report on IT Employment Diversity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITAA's Report on IT Employment Diversity

** This thread discusses the article: ITAA's Report on IT Employment Diversity **
    This is a discussion about ITAA's Report on IT Employment Diversity.

Click here for the article.

** This thread discusses the article: ITAA's Report on IT Employment Diversity **
    A little before Martin Luther King was assassinated, he expressed something to the effect of, we've made our point on civil rights, and he was expanding his reach to the poor in general, and that is precisely why he chose to go to the Memphis garbage workers' strike. He was reaching out to issues that also affected the white poor. Like me. I received a scholarship in a program designed to help minorities, but where the requisites were economic. One of the other students commented to me once that he had just moved, and that he never knew there were so many white poor. The different categories showing percentage declines in the proportion of women quoted vary from 0.2 percent to 12.x percent. It is certain that a large chuck of this number must be attributed to women's own decision, as there are also a number of statistical surveys that show many women who have been in one or another profession moving back home to take care of young children, or to have them before hitting the "clock". This is a perfectly admirable decision that women should be free to make without stigma, aside from the arguments one might against such a decision. One very famous example is Connie Chung, who took a number of years leave to attempt conception and motherhood. It wasn't just her; famous feminists such as Betty Friedman are lamenting just that. Some take twelve years' leave to be full-time mothers. This should be a factor considered in articles on the subject, and society should not be blamed for that proportion of women who decide for the noblest of professions, for which men are not even eligible, no matter how many movies Hollywood makes about Mr. Mom. I have heard armies of folks of both genders heap mountains of praise on their "stay-at-home" Moms. My point in this post is not advocacy for it. Many recent studies seem to show it is, but I am more than content to let the ladies decide and encourage them in either decision. For example , my daughter chose to study at Stanford rather than MIT, and International Relations rather than Math or a Science. I preferred the MIT technical route for her, but she is "her own lady" and has my support.

Comment

It's been my experience that in every place that I have worked or consulted there have been women programmers and or women in charge of programmers or the department as a whole. So IT is not an all boys club. Perhaps the minorities don't include people from other countries, in their statistics, like from the Phillipines, or India, or Asia. Also, what doesn't seem to be considered is the fact that too many companies are outsourcing to companies outside the US or bringing in contractors from outside the US to replace positions usually filled by men and women citizens.

Comment

Working...
      X