• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You the Go-To Person?

** This thread discusses the article: Are You the Go-To Person? **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Are You the Go-To Person?0

Are You the Go-To Person?

When I read this, I thought I must have written it myself while asleep. Perfect timing for me while feeling overworked and underappreciated and a performance evaluation coming up soon.

Comment

I have to say that I've been on both ends of this stick, and by far, it's much easier on your own personal psyche, and that of your family, when you're a floater than it is being the go-to-er. I know lots of go-to people as described in this article, and as a collective whole, I have never seen a more unhappy group of people in my life. They definitely have a purpose, but they also have no life outside of work, and, at the end of the day (or the end of their career), what did they obtain? A hearty "Thanks for all your hard work and sacrifice!" (if they are lucky) from the company they gave up their life for and what else? I'm asking. What else? It's better to find a happy medium in there rather than to be at either extreme.

Comment

It's important to champion the "go-to" people. The unsung heroes of every organization. The doers! The achievers! The folks Ayn Rand wrote about so eloquently ... Being a go-to person, I barely have time to read these e-newsletters ... and while I ABSOLUTELY agree with everything Ms. DeGiglio says (I think she's probably been watching me work), and while I have thought some of the very things that bother me ... her style of writing so bothers me that I had to take time to respond. I wish she would refrain from the base language references. I actually noticed this in the last article but it didn't apply to me so I didn't respond. Hmmm, as I write this .. I think I recognize myself much too closely in her words ... You go girl! Oops .. the line is forming again outside my door ... gotta run ...

Comment

When coming to an organization for the first time, you may need some help. Look for the person with the most papers spread all over their desk. Here is the positive corelation generality: The person with the neatest desk may be the one who knows the least and never gets things done, so no one ever comes to them for advice, or anything else. The hardest worker is known, and will be given the most tasks to do, and consequently has to deal with a bigger pile.[list=1] A man comes into a town for the first time needing a haircut. There are two barber shops. One is well maintained, and the barber has a neat haircut. The other is quite the opposite. Which shop does the man get his haircut, and why? Dave

Comment

I'm a go-to person and my desk is always neat and tidy. All my work is organized into folders so when I am finished working on one I fold it up and go on to the next one. Without organization you get far less done. A person with a messy desk and piles of papers spends half thier time searching thru thier piles.

Comment

r_fike wrote: "... Without organization you get far less done. ..." You need to read this. Cheers! Hans

Comment

Actually those of us with messy desks know exactly where everything is. On our desk! Seriously, though, if you ever take a myers-briggs personality test, you will find that some of us are messy-deskers because of what we are. I took one once, and the tester asked "is anyone this type (INTP) - I said yes, and he said, "Let's see. Your desk is a mess, but you know where everything is. You hate meetings, you don't care if you're 10 minutes late to work, etc..etc...etc.. Has nothing to do with being a go-to person. I can multitask with the best of them, throwing out solutions for one problem while listening to the next 10 problems. Has more to do with being the type of person who soaks up information for later use.

Comment

No offense meant. I, too like a neat desk. I did state that this was a generality, and not meant to imply that it referred to all people or circumstances. Dave

Comment

You might be a real "go-to guy", but I've seen some guys that let it get them arrogant. And pride goeth before a fall. Like your reference to Ayn Rand. She fell prey to the pride and oozed out her bitter vitriol about God so much it reminds one of Hitler, who only wanted the self-reliant to live. Truth is it takes all kinds, and part of your own role as a go-to guy is to help others, and the reason you like giving up your time and helping others is that it has its own satisfaction. And that's the truly objective truth. Thanks for listening -Alan

Comment

Like I always say, me and Einstein!

Comment

I've always held the understanding that multitasking was for computers and not people. For people, multitasking wastes time and is much less productive. Multitasking is not having more than one project in process, nor is it being interrupted to answer the phone while working on code. But, if you are the person who continues to code while talking on the phone, or, perhaps driving while on the phone, you are not giving the attention either one requires. Mistakes will happen and it will be more costly. Here's a couple of links that describe why multitasking is less productive and more costly. http://www.apa.org/releases/multitasking.html http://archives.cnn.com/2001/CAREER/...udy/index.html Remember this word of advice from the MASH character Charles Emerson Winchester, the Third, (be sure to say this using your most arrogant, posh, Boston accent) "I do one thing, I do it very well and then I move on." Tom.

Comment

After reading your post I tried to find an article that appeared in the NY Times several years ago entitled "Multitasking Makes you Stupid". I was unable to find it, but your links lead to similar conclusions. OTOH, I find multitasking to be just plain unavoidable. I try to do the best possible under the circumstances. Dave

Comment

Dave, That's a good point about multitasking as being unavoidable sometimes. I try to keep it under control by explaining to the too-easily offended parties that they are better off if I can give their problem much-deserved undivided attention. I especially dislike someone who tries to interrupt me when I'm on the phone. The arm-waving, throat-clearing, and general erratic movements make me ignore them even more. Tom.

Comment

cfuture: "emka717: you flatter yourself too much" One's view of reality is always skewed by one's own vantage point. There's a lot to be said for personal responsibility and that includes remembering that one should consider putting oneself in another's shoes before criticizing.

Comment

Working...
                              X