Appending records from AS/400 to MS Access database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appending records from AS/400 to MS Access database

This can get convoluted, but you can establish a trigger program, that uses RUNRMTCMD, or STRPCCMD to activate an ACCESS macro that obtain the data. Dave

One way you could do it, if you have a timestamp field in the source file, is create an Access macro that copies all new records since the last copy. It can figure out which are new if the timestamp is updated whenever the record is. (If your tables don't have timestamps, you could create a trigger to store them and a link to the record in a separate file). Each time you did the "replication", you would retain the timestamp value so you could subsequently grab all records greater than the timestamp. If you have the DASD space, you may also want to look into journals. HTH, Brian Singleton www.bsing.com P.S. I'll flesh out the above example in an upcoming article in MCMagOnline.

Comment

Hi all, I have a table set up in MS Access by Importing file from AS/400 using ODBC. Now I need to append to the table with new records everytime records are added to the AS/400 file. I know I can 'Link' Access and AS/400 in ODBC but I am looking for alternatives. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance. Don

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I think about the trigger and RUNRMTCMD but: 1. what do I put in the CMD prompt? I don't know Access, and it's not like I can put CALL PGMA as in AS/400. 2. I need some logic in place so that I won't receive the old records into ACCESS. Perhaps I can make use of the timestamp suggested by Brian? Do you have any examples? Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
        X