10 Questions You Should Ask When Being Interviewed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Questions You Should Ask When Being Interviewed

** This thread discusses the article: 10 Questions You Should Ask When Being Interviewed **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: 10 Questions You Should Ask When Being Interviewed0

** This thread discusses the article: 10 Questions You Should Ask When Being Interviewed **
    While Mike Floyd has posed some excellent questions, it should be considered that the interviewer may not be technical, and may not know the answers. As an independent, I tend to go on more interviews than one who works as a firms employee. I would suggest that the following questions may be more pertinent: Where will I sit? This is far more important than you might realize. Being in a lousy, or awkward environment can sour your aspects mighty fast. On one assignment I was placed in a 12x15 foot room with five other consultants, each with a PC, but the room had but one single outlet! OTOH, I have been given my own private office on other occasions.Knowing the environment up front can also be a negotiaons point. Tell me about the history of the project? It is important to generalize here. You will eventually want to know about the nuts and bolts, but on an interview, the interviewer may tell about internal political situations if any. If there is bad blood abrewing, you night want to think twice about stepping in. You might also want to find out about turnaround rate, both at management, and staff levels. Most states now have non-smoking laws. If yours doesn't, you would not want to be sat next to smokers if you're not a smoker, and perhaps vice-versa. An independent will often have the opposite problem of an employee when it comes to hours worked. Personally, I like to enter early so I may work uninterrupted at least for a little while. After a certain number of hours, they will want me to go home, but an employee will be paid the same regardless of hours worked. The progress of the project, and the nature of management will determine if your children/spouse/dog/etc. will recognize you as you finally come home. One red flag occurs when the interviewer specifically does not want you to talk to certain people that you will be most definetely working with if you should get the job. This might mean nothing, or it may mean that you co-worker has the personality of a brick! Finally, I once rejected an assignment, because a manager(whom I had never seen before) burst into the room where the interview was taking place, and shouted "Have him start on Monday!" I thought it was very presumptive, and that there was more going on behind the scenes that I was privy to. I later found out that the manager had just lost a second staffer, and was desperate to bring anyone on board. The manager evidently had a history of losing staff. Just some thoughts, Dave

Comment

I once was asked for a "straight-salary" position whether I would be willing to work extra hours for the benefit of a project. My answer was basically sure, no problem, I've done it before. And for some reason, I went on to point out that at one place, when it got to be lot, they offered "comp-time" in another arrangement, time off, and I was flexible in general. It was occasion for relief later when I heard later from other employees, current and past. Salaried employees were constantly and regularly and often and specifically asked to work extra hours on certain projects, installs, new implementations, etc. Including a mother of three young children, and equal-opportunity abuser! Some may want to ask what kind of background the IT Director has. One place I shared an office with three other hourly subcontractors, a very well-known company, the IT Director was an Arthur Anderson auditor, no kidding, auditor, not even "consultant", hired directly into the position. When she saw one guy's invoice hours and corresponding project numbers for the month (his contractor had a monthly cycle, it seems) she sent back to ask him to justify why they should pay that money for so many hours over the estimate!! Fortunately for him, he had kept good documentation on all the mid-coding changes they had put on him that were responsible for the overage. Sheesh! I found out later the entire company was run that way.

Comment

Working...
      X