Data Conversions- ASCII, UNICODE, EBCDIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Conversions- ASCII, UNICODE, EBCDIC

In the DDS at the field level, define the field as CCSID(65535). This means "do not translate", use the hex value "as is". That should get transferred as pure binary then, untranslated. I haven't tried this but it should work. Chris

I did try changing the CCSID at both the field level and record level, but the data seems to still be translated. I am writing to the file with a JAVA program and JDBC, running on a pc. Although not a Java programmer, what documentation I have found seems to suggest that there is a property value that needs to be changed to prevent translation. I am still trying to figure out which one. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

I am a little confused about what you are trying to do. I would expect the java application code if you are using JDBC to be independent of the encoding scheme. For the AS/400 the CCSID on the User profile is used. Hopefully this link will help. IBM Support Document

Comment

The JDBC Driver Property is TRANSLATE BINARY however the Field's definition on the file and in the JDBC program (Stored procedure parameter?) must be specified correctly to avoid the default conversion in the JDBC Driver. Also there is a Trace property in the later JT400.jar driver files. Also the CCSID of the Job has something to do with it but I believe you can control it without messing with the JOB or System CCSID's. Another Tip: If you are running the Java Code on a Unix or linux machine I think you could have a problem with the locale, I had a problem with a Unix machine doing some strange translation via JDBC. In this case it was only characters ASCII 127 and higher, It took me months to track it.

Comment

Has anyone had experience moving data in between platforms where it is converted from one format to another? More specifically we are interested in moving binary (encrypted) data from ASCII or UNICODE to EBCDIC and not having the data translated, or having it in a platform neutral format (maybe base64binary?) so that it "value" isn't lost when it undergoes translation. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X