The Linux Letter: The True Value of Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Letter: The True Value of Linux

** This thread discusses the article: The Linux Letter: The True Value of Linux **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: The Linux Letter: The True Value of Linux **

** This thread discusses the article: The Linux Letter: The True Value of Linux **
    Personally I've never even been to Monster.com. If I want to find a new job, I wait for the next head hunter to call. I think most upper echelon computing jobs will be found on head hunter/user group websites. When I moved from Virginia to Oregon, I looked at the Portland website for listings. From that site I would not even think that Portland had an iSeries. I eventually found the job using a JDEdwards User group website and emailing everyone in Oregon. I was pleasantly surprised when I got here that there are many iSeries in the neighborhood. So just like the lack of advertising for iSeries, there is no public listing of iSeries jobs. It would be hard to get an actual count of job listings for this platform.

Comment

As a contractor, I use many methods to find engagements (contractual or W2) including Monster and others. The article exactly mirrors my own experience. More AS/400's, iSeries, & i5's are being ripped out than are being installed new. WAY more. In fact, some of my contracts were to help with rip & replace projects. Never mind the justifications were faulty and the savings never materialized, the reality is that few, if any, i5's are being sold to new accounts. I work in Java now, J2EE specifically, so I'm far less concerned about the platform than I used to be. Given my choice, I'd always go with the i5. The problem is I don't choose, the customers do. The i5 needs to distance itself from RPG. It needs to be seen as a modern platform, and it needs to have ISV's including it in their quiver of software solutions. I suppose that is what IBM is trying to do by their recent $125 million dollar initiative, but it may be too late. The IBM marketing was shamefully negligent for too long.

Comment

Monster.com has not been a good tool in any field here in the tri-state area. That nothwithstanding, virtually no one outside of the walls of blue refers to the box as an iseries. Associates receiving their i5 boast of their new AS/400. Dave

Comment

Sheesh, Barry, I hope you never have to job hunt for an AS/400 job, not that it's done me much good. For starters, Dice.com is the major source of what listings there are, with ComputerJobs.com running second and HotJobs.com a distant third. Monster.com is much weaker in IT. Secondly, RPG is the keyword to use for searching on AS/400 jobs, perhaps if administrative in nature CL. No matter what the verbiage, RPG will be listed in an AS/400 posting, even if for many it amounts to "can you read it and rewrite it in something else"? I wrote the job site server for the now defunct JOBS/400 and RPG* as a keyword handled every variation such as RPG/400 or RPGIV in addition to ILE RPG or just RPG alone, so if wildcards are allowed that's better than RPG by itself, but I find it rare that RPG doesn't match every ad. I may get a job yet in RPG, I don't know, I'm working on it, but just as all the RPG jobs I see require several years experience, although my 15 years may be *too* experienced, who knows, I would be surprised if any other field is any different. The argument can go that overall experience counts, enterprise and all that, but when they have a plethora of candidates, those who have the experience in that field are going to be chosen, we all know that. It really comes down to demand, there just haven't been the IT jobs since the dot com crash, it does look to be finally improving, but ever so slowly in RPG ads. I've been programming in Java for the last several months on my own. I will supplement saying x years/months experience with completed projects I can demo from my website. That's along the lines of what you've suggested, but these daggone IT fields are so niche, even for example down to the package and version, you have musical chairs with most of the chairs being sent to India. American companies collectively will not be able to make up for all the lost business from their collective outsourced employees. The remaining chairs here might as well be on the deck of the Titanic. rd

Comment

Working...
          X