The Linux Letter: Linux-Hosted Server-Side Java

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Letter: Linux-Hosted Server-Side Java

** This thread discusses the article: The Linux Letter: Linux-Hosted Server-Side Java **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: The Linux Letter: Linux-Hosted Server-Side Java **

The Linux Letter: Linux-Hosted Server-Side Java

** This thread discusses the article: The Linux Letter: Linux-Hosted Server-Side Java **
    There, now you've gone and done it! Bring up a favorite rant of mine, will you? You see, I like GUI's. They provide a rich environment for the client, with lots of flexibility and what I would call "expressiveness." The problem is the code that is generated. We have client/server software too, and it suffers from similar headaches. Strange bugs show up, and you are left to try to discern what on earth is going on. I have documented literally dozens of bizarre error messages. The worst part is that neither the client nor technical support is left with much in the way of options to deal with the errors. The messages themselves are inscrutible and contain no options except "OK". Call the vendor and you are lucky of they've even heard of the problem. We used to blame this sort of thing on the operating system. Windows 9x had major shortcomings in terms of it's ability to isolate tasks and protect the OS. We also used to blame the fact that we ran 16-bit application software in a 32-bit environment. Well, guess what? Both problems have been resolved, and yet the underlying problem continues. Code development environments have not kept up. Testing has not kept up. Applications are one or two orders of magnitude more complex than 15-20 years ago, yet the business process of programming has hardly changed.

Comment

Working...
    X