Microsoft Vista: The Promise and the Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Vista: The Promise and the Reality

** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Vista: The Promise and the Reality **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Microsoft Vista: The Promise and the Reality0

** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Vista: The Promise and the Reality **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Microsoft Vista: The Promise and the Reality **
    just wanted to point that out. The latest SP that MS has released for Win XP is SP2.

Comment

That's better even then Microsoft's rosiest dreams. You probably meant 10%! I don't see anyone in the corporate world rushing to upgrade before SP1 and before a lot more reassuring reviews come out. I don't see a lot of home users putting down the money only for the new UI, at least not before the incompatibilities are worked out. Remember the adoption rate of XP, this one will probably be even slower and will be driven at first by new PC purchases with Vista preinstaled. Even then, there are corporation who will buy the cheapest version of Vista preinstalled then wipe it out and replace it with XP.

Comment

for any of you who are in the Guard/Reserve member or direct family member of a u.s. soldier, sailor, marine, air force, coast guard person, currently serving or retired, you could be eligible for a no cost upgrade to Vista, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, Microsoft Office (full version), Microsoft Virus Checker, Microsoft etc.... Microsoft has joined the department of defense in a contract to allow the service members and their family to download and install licensed copies of these operating systems and/or programs. in my case, i am going to upgrade my laptop to XP Professional with the full version of Office. for army folks go to AKO and check your self service. for the other branches, go to your designated domain and check for similar. -sarge

Comment

I could get it free from my company, but don’t plan on upgrading. 1gb for the OS. No thanks. I have 2 laptops both with 1gb and only one can be upgraded to 2gb. I have better things to run on them then just the OS.

Comment

New operating system releases pop up like buttercups in the spring. It's been five years since the last new release from Microsoft. Not so much popping up as dribbling out. Just when Windows XP, under Service Pack 3, is considered to be Microsoft's most stable and secure OS ever... from Wikipedia: Windows XP Service Pack 3 is currently in development. As of December 2006, Microsoft's web site indicates a "preliminary" release date around the first half of 2008. In the end, more than 90% of us will be running Vista within a year. You really need to edit that. Each time Microsoft rolls out a new operating system, the thought comes to mind that this may be enough motivation to finally take a look at the free, open-source OS: Linux. And on each of these occasions, Linux has gotten better. Linux, with its various desktops, may be friendly enough to non-computer science types now to make the transition effort worthwhile, at least for some of your systems. If I were an IT manager grappling with these decisions, I would take a long look at Linux at this point. Microsoft needs time to identify bugs in Vista and to produce the first service pack. An evaluation period for Linux would buy me some time and would further my knowledge of this OS. It could be that Linux has real potential within my shop and, being free, would certainly appeal to management. This and much of the rest is good insight. However, what I've read is that corporations will exercise their right to reinstall their XP licenses for some time to come now. In my opinion Vista will continue to dribble out even slower than it's managed so far. Consumer PC's, the source of assimilation of the past, is marginalized even more than in the past with it being at the bottom of the many levels of Vista capability. Microsoft will try to force incompatabilities that require Vista at the office to work with Vista at home, which is Microsoft's modus operandi, but they won't be successful this time. The thrashing about licensing is only the beginning of the noises we will hear from Redmond. As soon as you have one Linux laptop that runs all the cool apps with none of Microsoft's licensing and DRM restrictions, the noise you will hear from Redmond amidst the rush to Linux and Mac OS/X will be the giant sucking sound of a sales implosion. rd

Comment

It has been published the NSA has "helped" Microsoft "secure" the operating system. There, now don't you feel more secure already?

Comment

Working...
              X