SEU & PDM versus Remote System Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEU & PDM versus Remote System Explorer

Personally, I find RSE slow and cumbersome. OTOH with a souped up PC it may be more amienable to your new guy. Dave

(My personal opinion!) I've been using Code/400 for years - since the OS/2 days. Code/400 is the predecessor to RSE/WDSCi. I have been in the business since 1978, and am very familiar with several green screen editors as well as several PC based editors. I vastly prefer any PC based editor to SEU. About the only green screen editor worth its salt is XEDIT on mainframes. I find the ability to write macros indispensable. Others seem to prefer the colour coding and offline syntax checking. I have tried to get many programmers to use Code instead of SEU, and it is not easy. Most veteran SEU/PDM users find the PC paradigm too different to be comfortable in a short period of time, and quickly revert to SEU. Without exception, programmers I've met from other platforms think that SEU is not quite a step above EDLIN, and jump at the chance to use a decent PC based editor, since that is what they are accustomed to. I am basically the sole Code user in a PDM/SEU group, and there is no problem having such a mix. Let the new guy have his GUI and let the experienced guy have SEU if that's their preference. --buck

Comment

Frank Whittemore wrote: > Your thoughts on which programming tools to use? Frank, A third option would be to use the Websphere Development package, specifcally the Code Edit program(s). This will give a full screen PC based editor to your programmers. The Websphere package is free if you have at least one of the language compilers and are at least on OS/400 V4R5. Bill

Comment

I would love to convert to Code/400, but in my experience, there is one advantage SEU has over Code - SEU works. Reliably. After upgrading to Win2000, and putting a fresh install of Code 5.1 on my 512Mb RAM computer and V5R2 iSeries - any attempt to run Code Editor or Designer results in one of those "Your program has generated errors - you need to restart it" errors, usually followed by a message telling me to install some back end PTF (said PTF that cannot be found on the IBM support site), and occasionally accompanied by a "MyServer is busy with another request" message. It's been nothing but a headache. When IBM can produce a Code product (or WDSc product) that's as reliable as SEU, I will gladly switch to it.

Comment

> I would love to convert to Code/400, but in my experience, > there is one advantage SEU has over Code - SEU works. > Reliably. I've been using the old WDT V5R1M0 with service pack 5 for years, with OS400 V5R1 and now V5R2. It hasn't crashed on me since SP5 was installed. I can't speak to WDSCi, because my PC is too small to load it, but I would rather slit my wrists with a rusty tin can lid than go back to SEU, so I keep using the old Code/400 even though it is officially not supported. --buck

Comment

DougCMH wrote: > I would love to convert to Code/400, but in my experience, there is > one advantage SEU has over Code - SEU works. Reliably. Doug, I too have had problems with Code. I would strongly recommend joining the Code 400 Mailing List served at Midrange.com . There are IBMer's there that will work with you. I had a problem that was eventually blamed on a bad TCP/IP stack and the IBMer I worked with spent a good amount of time working with me. Once you get Code working it really is a nice package. The utility to convert RPG to free format is quite nice. Bill

Comment

Buck, I also have a love/hate relationship with Code. When I start it up in and go to my source library it literally takes 8 minutes to list the objects in the library so that I can then modify a source member. If I need to make a small change I just don't use it. I can have the small change done, compiled and in production before the hourglass icon in Code disappears. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Buck Calabro" wrote in message news:9A5BB86C36CC9E0F506FDD8C7092A42B@in.WebX.Wawy ahGHajS... > > I would love to convert to Code/400, but in my experience, > > there is one advantage SEU has over Code - SEU works. > > Reliably. > > I've been using the old WDT V5R1M0 with service pack 5 for years, with > OS400 V5R1 and now V5R2. It hasn't crashed on me since SP5 was > installed. I can't speak to WDSCi, because my PC is too small to load > it, but I would rather slit my wrists with a rusty tin can lid than go > back to SEU, so I keep using the old Code/400 even though it is > officially not supported. > --buck > >

Comment

> I also have a love/hate relationship with Code. When > I start it up in and go to my source library it literally > takes 8 minutes to list the objects in the library so > that I can then modify a source member. Hi Chuck! This is one of those paradigm shifts that I was talking about. We green screen-ers as so used to the idea that PDM will return a list instantly (loading a page at a time works great!), that we're in the habit of thinking about a 'project' as a few source members embedded in a source file which in turn is only one file among many in our development library. The Code way to look at a project is: create a new project with the Code Project Organiser. Add only the source files you're interested in and you can even filter the members you want. Creating a project takes mere moments, and when organised this way, you see only the source that actually pertains to your changes rather than the whole source file. For those 'quick changes' I have a generic project which has only the source files in my library in it. Even though there are close to 10,000 source members in my QRPGSRC, the list comes up very quickly because it is cached by the project organiser. A refresh can take a couple of minutes, but I only have to do that to work on a newly added source member. I found that I had to think a different way in order to get Code/CPO working for me, but once I did, I found it difficult to return to SEU/PDM. As I said earlier, not everyone feels like making that change, and stick with SEU. Editors are very personal, and far be it from me to say that Code is better than SEU for everyone. But it certainly is better than SEU for me! --buck

Comment

Buck, This is an unnecessary paradigm shift, though. Anyone that uses a PC based editor such as BCD's WebSmart or Microsoft's .NET knows that an instantaneous list of source files IS available. I don't need to learn a new paradigm. Unfortunately, IBM still doesn't have their act together with Websphere development tools. IBM wants us to shift to their methodology even though their methodology only works best for a few. IBM's "project" paradigm may work great for software vendor where a programmer may work on projects like this all day long. But most programmers in small shops don't work that way. Other vendors run rings around IBM. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Buck Calabro" wrote in message news:41F112A6D78CDBF59C69200C73618951@in.WebX.Wawy ahGHajS... > > I also have a love/hate relationship with Code. When > > I start it up in and go to my source library it literally > > takes 8 minutes to list the objects in the library so > > that I can then modify a source member. > > Hi Chuck! > > This is one of those paradigm shifts that I was talking about. We > green screen-ers as so used to the idea that PDM will return a list > instantly (loading a page at a time works great!), that we're in the > habit of thinking about a 'project' as a few source members embedded > in a source file which in turn is only one file among many in our > development library. > > The Code way to look at a project is: create a new project with the > Code Project Organiser. Add only the source files you're interested > in and you can even filter the members you want. Creating a project > takes mere moments, and when organised this way, you see only the > source that actually pertains to your changes rather than the whole > source file. > > For those 'quick changes' I have a generic project which has only the > source files in my library in it. Even though there are close to > 10,000 source members in my QRPGSRC, the list comes up very quickly > because it is cached by the project organiser. A refresh can take a > couple of minutes, but I only have to do that to work on a newly added > source member. > > I found that I had to think a different way in order to get Code/CPO > working for me, but once I did, I found it difficult to return to > SEU/PDM. As I said earlier, not everyone feels like making that > change, and stick with SEU. Editors are very personal, and far be it > from me to say that Code is better than SEU for everyone. But it > certainly is better than SEU for me! > --buck > >

Comment

Thanks guys! Is anyone else willing to add their experiences to this thread?

Comment

We just doubled the size of our programmer/analyst staff from one to two. The original programmer has years of SEU & PDM experience while developing and maintaining ILE RPG programs. The new guy has programming experience, but none of it on an AS/400 or iSeries. Is this the time to start them both into the use of RSE or would it be better to just get the new guy into SEU & PDM? The new guy has started learning ILE RPG. Our web site is outsourced and so was its development. There are no plans to to bring it in house. Your thoughts on which programming tools to use?

Comment

I use both the LPEX editor in WDSCi and SEU to develop source code. If I'm making substantial changes to a program, or I'm coding new programs, I generally use LPEX. If I just need to make a minor modifcation (e.g., change a single line of code), SEU can be faster. I compile in WDSCi because I like the features available to help with locating and correcting errors. I test in green screens because I find ISDB easier to use for OPM COBOL programs. The point of all this is there's no need to insist that all programmers use one tool or the other. There's not even a reason to insist a given programmer use one tool or the other. It's perfectly legitimate to use whatever combination of ADTS and WDSCi best suits the needs and skills and your programmers. Thanks, Kelly

Comment

Working...
                        X