Remote System Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote System Explorer

Thanks Chris! The ROLLBACK list doesn't have any updates with today's dates - only the big update we did yesterday. Jonathan

Comment

Remote System Explorer

More information on my RSE failure.... apparently the update was something called Rational Clear Case SCM adapter, version 6.0.49. It updated itself, and since then all the syntax/parsing has disappared from the editor. I can find no way to roll it back or reverse it. According to our resident PC expert, it is some type of plug-in, and not part of basic WDSC. I have a call in to IBM, but have not heard anything yet. I was just beginning to love RSE, but now I may rethink it. For it to update itself, render itself useless, and then have no recovery makes me think PDM and SEU are not so bad.

Comment

Remote System Explorer

I installed WDSC V6.0 and was instructed to update the product. I tried to install updates but when the screen to accept the license agreement appeared, the "OK" button was disabled. I had to cancel the update. Does anyone know the cause of the problem?

Comment

Remote System Explorer

Is it just me, or does anyone else not think that RSE is the cat's meow? There are parts of it that I find helpful such as being able to see the screen layouts on sources that are restricted from doing SDA. On the whole I find RSE to be cumbersome and slow. I have tried a few screen designs and have gotten frustrated and wound up finishing them using SDA. As to RPG programs, we use Linoma's RpgToolBox and with the ability to write snippets to set up skeleton programs and procedured calls it adds to making all of our programs look similar. If there are tricks to navigating around RSE for screen and print file design I would be more than happy to hear about them. I am willing to try anything at least once, but I am old enough to not automatically assume that since something is new it makes it better than the old. I remember the Edsel. Bill Barnes The Pantry, Inc.

Comment

Remote System Explorer

Since I first posted this last year I have taken several steps to move to RSE. Got a training course, subscribe to the WDSc email and plunged in headfirst. Problem is the water was a little shallow at my end and I hit my head. There are many good things about RSE such as having multiple sources up being edited at the same time, the outline view and the Freeform converter. I also like the compiler option of not producing a printout. Now for the downside. The Freeform converter has a flaw when dealing with embedded SQL programs if the SQL statement is within a loop. IBM has said that they could not reproduce the problem in the next release and therefor chooses to ignore it. SQL compiles are most confusing because when you click on an error it brings up a completely new source member that is RPGLE and the fixes are useless. Now, before some of you start jumping on my case and telling me that the green screen compile isn't any better, I say so what? That is like telling me that it is better to shot in the arm than in the leg. Updates are horrendous, I check updates and when they are available I apply them. The problem is the lengt5h of time it takes to download. The last one I started at 1:30pm and it was 65% finished at 5:00pm. I don't know what time it finished? I installed the plugins from Linoma (Surveyor and SoftLandings). The last update removed the visual links and I haven't been able to get them back. I am the only person in my shop that uses it (masochistic tendencies). The chances of anyone else using it are slim at best. The email subscription is confusing to follow on questions and answers other than your own. A forum (like this one) is easier to follow. I don't see where RSE has made me any more productive I still jump back to PDM. As to CODE it seems to be OK, but like RSE it is heavyhanded in it's approach. The Print file portion is dangerous at best since it removes the RLU comments that control the record length and the object library. I still haven't figured out how to compile to a different library. In one of Joe Pluta's posts here he mentioned that IBM is pushing for a departure from the green screen and I agree. The problem is that they started late and then put Websphere out as the only approved method. Which required Java and lots more hardware. This gave Microsoft the edge they needed and they took it. Our shop, like many others, has mandated that there will be no more new development in the iSeries. It will be done in .NET in a windows environment and the iSeries will become a distant memory. Part of this development I place right at the doorstep of IBM. Freeform not withstanding, they blinked. Too little too late for many shops that have years of development tied up in RPG applications, only to be labelled as "Legacy Programmers" and therefor not worth much to the bottom line.

Comment

Working...
            X