CGI and PHP: Alternatives to WebSphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CGI and PHP: Alternatives to WebSphere

** This thread discusses the article: CGI and PHP: Alternatives to WebSphere **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: CGI and PHP: Alternatives to WebSphere0

I enjoyed your article, thanks. I am disappointed that you did not even discuss probably the most popular web dev. scheme - .NET. I realize it fits into the same category as J2EE, but what are the real differences, the advantages of using .NET, the disadvantages, its comparison to CGI... Thanks.

Comment

** This thread discusses the Content article: ActiveState had a download of C source code you could put on the 400 and compile to implement Perl. Perl is a powerful, free and easy-to-learn scripting language. I wonder if anyone is using it on an iSeries. Finally, to the best of my knowledge, the only thing I have ever heard against using CGI is the performance (or lack of). I wonder how true that really is.

Comment

The .NET framework is a huge subject in and of itself and doesn't really fit within the confines of this article. Personally, I don't use it because it's highly proprietary and locks you into Microsoft, but to each their own. In any case, the whole .NET/J2EE argument is being beaten to death in the public arenas; just do a Google search on .NET vs J2EE. You'll be up to your eyeballs in references. Joe

Comment

Way back when, there was a Perl PRPQ for the iSeries, but I haven't kept track of it. Me, I'm waiting for the next release of Python and then I'll see if I can get Zope running on the iSeries. If I can, I may have found a viable alternative to Tomcat or WebSphere. Joe

Comment

Working...
          X