TechTip: Start Using PHP on the iSeries…NOW! Part I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: Start Using PHP on the iSeries…NOW! Part I

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Start Using PHP on the iSeries...NOW! Part I **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: Start Using PHP on the iSeries...NOW! Part I **

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Start Using PHP on the iSeries...NOW! Part I **
    Jeff, At the time of this writing, all the Zend i5/OS products are available for free to Zend.com registered users. What does that mean, at this time? Do you know something that is looming? Does IBM or Zend plan to charge for Zend Core or Zend Studio or Zend Framework at some point, such as V6R1? Chris

Comment

Chris, I don't know of any plans but it would seem to make sense that at some point they would start charging for it. Zend's other products are not free. I think that the i5 products are still free because they are still technically in Beta. With that said, I am not "in the know" about what plans Zend has along those lines. Take care, Jeff Olen Olen Business Consulting, Inc. email: jmo@olen-inc.com phone: 760-703-5149 web: www.olen-inc.com

Comment

It's very common and practically dictated by commercial open-source culture to offer two (2) versions of your product, of which the baseline version is free, while the advanced (more complete) version has a price. Zend, SugarCRM, and mySQL follow this pattern. It's often a balancing act to know how many features to include in the baseline version to maximize market share, while withholding enough features in order to support a commercial enterprise. In the case of Zend, they seem to be enticing developers to the fold through the free Zend Core, while relying on fee-based IDE's, training, support subscriptions, and Zend Platform to support scalable use of the applications that you create. Microsoft's approach to marketing is more along the line of integrating tons of features at a modest price, but still with the intent of maximizing market share. Marketing is interesting. Nathan.

Comment

Chris, There have been no discussions with IBM to charge for Zend Core for i5/OS, Zend Studio for i5/OS, or Zend Framework (which is embedded in Zend Core for i5/OS). To clarify Jeff's reply the aforementioned products are free because IBM is investing in the iSeries/System i platform -- many of you in the community asked IBM to bring PHP to the platform and this is exactly what they did. There are other products and services that we, Zend, charge for. Additionally, over the next next 3 to 6 months Zend will announce additional product enhancements that will interest all of you. Please stay tuned. Thank you for your continued support. Jim Dillard IBM Alliance Manager Zend

Comment

Anyone manage to download the IBM powerpoint (Zend Core Install for i5OS) that is mentioned in the article and get it to open OK? It downloads OK as a .ppt but gives a 'can't-read-file' error. I am on Powerpoint 2003.

Comment

I've just downloaded and it worked fine. I used the "Open with" option from the Mozilla download manager. BTW, I use PowerPoint 2002. Good luck Eduardo

Comment

Thanks for the good news Jim. I for one, will be watching for the additional products you mention. Take care, Jeff Olen Olen Business Consulting, Inc. email: jmo@olen-inc.com phone: 760-703-5149 web: www.olen-inc.com

Comment

Andrew, Did you ever get this to work for you? Jeff Olen Olen Business Consulting, Inc. email: jmo@olen-inc.com phone: 760.703.5149 web: www.olen-inc.com

Comment

Hello Jeff, Sorry for the delay in replying but, no I didn't get it to work. Now if I click on the link I get "Error attempting to access requested page" and a message telling me the page doesn't exists within IBM TechDocs. IBM info on-line is unbelievably difficult to search/navigate and as for the number of dead links!?

Comment

Andrew, Here's a new (and possibly better?) link to the install info. click here Jeff Olen Olen Business Consulting, Inc. email: jmo@olen-inc.com phone: 760.703.5149 phone: www.olen-inc.com

Comment

Working...
                      X