Wanted: Oracle9i Vs. DB2 UDB 7.2 Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Oracle9i Vs. DB2 UDB 7.2 Information

Just to confuse things further, LINUX runs on the 400 as well as the ZSeries. bobh

Bob, I'm a strong proponent of the Iseries, but IBM tells me that ORACLE will not run on the Iseries or Zseries. It will run on the Pseries. Did I cover the alphabet? IBM Compete is now putting together some comparisons between each hardware series as well as SUN and HP/Compaq hardware. Thanks! Tom M. P.S. Did I babel on too much last email? I ate 3 handfuls of yogurt covered raisins before I wrote it.

Comment

Most benchmarks compare DB performace features, whereas there are few if any "ease of use" feature comparisons. Here is some of the things that DB2/400 can do, compare them with the Oracle workload:
        [*]You do not have to allocate space or extents with DB2/400.[*]You do not have to worry about disk placement for optimization with DB2/400 - It is automatic.[*]DB2/400 is fully ANSI SQL compatible.[*]DB2/400 comes with a complete set of commands, that may be expanded for statistical retrieval.[*]Record locking is automatic, no coding is needed.[*]DB2/400 can be retrieved directly by HLL programs without the need for SQL.[*]DB2/400 security is provided for by OS/400.[/list]Dave

Comment

My name is Tom Mackin and I'm a Development Manager with Onyx Environmental Services, LLC. Onyx utilizes OS400, Novel, N/T and now Unix. My task is to present Sr. Management with the best data base to meet the organization's back end needs. My research has lead me to Oracle9i and DB2 UBB 7.2. I have read many articles about Oracle9i and DB2, and have found 2 articles comparing them. One article is by PC Magazine, 3/26/2002, the other is by the Horowitz Group, 4/11/2001. Both articles point to Oracle9i. My confusion is Oracle claims to bundle all data base components for one cost, and IBM hits you with costly add ons. However, the articles disagree. The PC Magazine article also claims that Oracle is not "OPEN" where DB2 is "OPEN". I'm looking for processing benchmarks, TCO (Total Cost to operate)information as well as any personal experiences with either of these data bases. I'm also leaning towards Linux because I believe it's the only operating system that will allow me to consolidate our many platforms onto one server. Thanks! Tom M. Any further input is greatly appreciated by me.

Comment

Thanks David. I will add these to my list of questions for Oracle.

Comment

Working...
          X