IBM Information Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Information Center

Is IBM replacing the on-line manuals with the Information Center ? It may be just me, but I cannot find anything on there. I usually have to go back to the V4R1 link to get the manuals.

IBM Information Center

David, That was how I felt last week when all of a sudden my bookmarks quit functioning. I went to the websites I had marked and they just now said "Unavailable". There were some other links, but none of them explained that they took you to the new site. I took the time to fill out their online poll, and my ending comments were pointed (tainted?) towards the site changes. I remember one of our for-fathers saying: "Site manipulation without representation is tyrany!" (Or something like that) -bret

Comment

IBM Information Center

I use the Online library which gives you access to all the books (at least all the ones I've looked for). You can access it from the Info Center or here is the direct link. http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/h...e/homeeng1.htm Scott Mildenberger

Comment

IBM Information Center

In an effort to make things eaiser and more concise for the AS/400 community, IBM has been in an ongoing effort over the last 18 months or so to redesign how you get the information you need. They have been slowly pulling material from the online books web pages to the Information center and creating new online "wizards" to help solve specific as/400 related problems. While you can still order hard copy manuals for most things, some manuals you may have gotten used to, such as the OS/400 Basic Systems Operation manual and it's counterpart the advanced SYstems Admin and Operations manual (that name may not be exact), have been merged into one book. In any event, the result is that when you need a piece of information, you have to bounce from web site to web site, picking up a little bit here, a little bit there, and when you finally realize that you still don't have all the answers you need, you go dig out one of your old manuals. And while you're looking throuigh the hard copy manual, the web heads at IBM are busily changing all the URL's.

Comment

IBM Information Center

>>Is IBM replacing the on-line manuals with the Information Center ? It may be just me, but I cannot find anything on there. I usually have to go back to the V4R1 link to get the manuals.
          ********** When I researched this topic last year, I found that this might actually be the case. I revisited the Online Library just now and found the following note: "V4R5 Publications in English The following is the list of V4R5 publications by category and links to the list of books within each shelf. Note: Some information now resides in the AS/400 Information Center and no longer resides as books in the AS/400 Online Library. See Category 0 for information that has moved." the Link to see that page is: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/h...ne/ct45eng.htm There's a similar note in the V4R4 Publications In English Web page but this note doesn't show up in V4R3, V4R2, or V4R1 pages so IBM probably started this initiative with V4R4. I also wrote an article last year that talked about the Info Center and where it was going as far as moving the AS/400 Online Library to it. If you're interested, the URL is: http://www.midrangecomputing.com/sho...1114&md=199912 HTH Joe Hertvik Editor-AS/400 Network Expert http://www.midrangecomputing.com/ane mailto:jhertvik@midrangecomputing.com

Comment

IBM Information Center

Shannon O'Donnell wrote: the web heads at IBM are busily changing all the URL's. I think they enjoy doing that, as they do it so much! Dave

Comment

IBM Information Center

Joe, in your article conclusion you stated: The next time you're looking for AS/400 networking information on the Web, start with the AS/400 Information Center. It's comprehensive, fast, easy to use, and, oh yes, very AS/400-network-centric (which I like a lot). If you're dealing with networking your AS/400, you'll definitely find plenty of good valuable information there. I agree that the AS/400 Information Center is network centric, but what if you do not need that (network) information? What if your an ordinary programming grunt, needing to find the BIF's available in RPGIV? I think the the Information Center has a verrrrrry bad design. One of the shortcomings of the IBM manuals has always been the need to read from several manuals to obtain the information you need and I applaud any effort to solve this problem. color=red> BUT, IMHO IBM is traveling down the wrong road with their current approach. Give me one place to obtain the information I need. IBM has had the Information Center website up since V4R2 (at least that was the first time I saw it) and I still must access the Online Library to get the everyday AS/400 technical information I need. Jerry Hensley Peerless Chain

Comment

IBM Information Center

Jerry, I also agree that IBM needs to provide a one-stop help emporium. Until then what I did was load the information center and CODE/400's help files to my AS/400. Then I indexed it using NetQuestion. This provides useable and fast access to help. For us "average programming grunts," the best way to get information on a BIF is to hit help in CODE/400. Without CODE/400, you will spend way too much time searching and might be better off memorizing the BIFs. David Morris

Comment

Working...
                X