RPG & CGI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPG & CGI

In reference to B. Stone's article in the 9.1999 issue. I have followed everything in the article in trying to use this application as a sample for my own education. I am having a great deal of trouble with "Enabling the Server to run CGI programs". I used the "Web Progrmming Guide" pages 5.1-1 ot 5.1-2 as a guide to setting up the server. Whenever I try to run the applicatioon from the IFS system, I get a " not authorized to view page" error. If I access the application from my local PC "C" drive, the main screen appears, but when I hit the "Print" key , I get a "Web page unavailable error. Can anyone give my any clues as to wht I might be missing or doing wrong... Any help will be greatly approciated.

RPG & CGI

Paul, Are you trying to use a static HTML file, or are you trying to run a CGI program? I ask because you refer to it as an "application", but then say you can view it from your C: drive. This leads me to believe that you are trying to display an .html file from the IFS on your AS/400. Here is what would help. could you post the following? 1. Your HTTP Configuration 2. The directory and filename of the page you are trying to access 3. The URL that you are using to view the page 4. The error that you receive. There should be an error code (ie. 400, 500...) This will help. Thanks! Bradley V. Stone www.bvstools.com

Comment

RPG & CGI

I hop the following helps...once again thanks for any help that you can provide. 1). My HTTP configuration from "WRKHTTPCFG" : Map /cgi-bin/* /QSYS.LIB/ROCHON.LIB/ Exec /cgi-bin/* /QSYS.LIB/ROCHON.LIB/* %%EBCDIC%% pass / /qsys.lib/rochon.lib/jdelesrc.file/cgiinv.mbr Enable Post 2). Directory & file name a). the file is an HTML file called CGIINV (per your article), it resides in my library on our as/400. The error msg @ #4 below is what I get b). If I copy this HTM file to my "C" Drive ROOT directory, I can open it in a WEB page and see he input screen. 3). URL Template being Used a). /cgi-bin/* 4). Error Message http://seattle:2001/html/cgiinv.html You are not authorized to view this page You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied. If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the seattle:2001 home page. You can click Search to look for information on the Internet HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden Internet Explorer

Comment

RPG & CGI

1). My HTTP configuration from "WRKHTTPCFG" : Map /cgi-bin/* /QSYS.LIB/ROCHON.LIB/ Exec /cgi-bin/* /QSYS.LIB/ROCHON.LIB/* %%EBCDIC%% pass / /qsys.lib/rochon.lib/jdelesrc.file/cgiinv.mbr Enable Post First, your map and exec directives will probably not work. Remove the Map directive. The Exec directive is just fine. You could change it to Exec /cgi-bin/* /QSYS.LIB/ROCHON.LIB/*.PGM %%EBCDIC%% Adding the ".PGM" to the end will make it so that when you refer to a CGI program you don't have to use the .PGM extension in the URL. (CGIPGM.PGM vs. CGIPGM) 2). Directory & file name a). the file is an HTML file called CGIINV (per your article), it resides in my library on our as/400. The error msg @ #4 below is what I get b). If I copy this HTM file to my "C" Drive ROOT directory, I can open it in a WEB page and see he input screen. Well, your PASS directive should work, but only if you use the URL http://www.myas400.com without specifying any files. Also, this is the only file that your PAss directive is allowing it to view. 3). URL Template being Used a). /cgi-bin/* You lost me here. Using /cgi-bin in the URL should be used when you are trying to call a CGI program. From your mail, it seems that you want to view the HTML file named CGIINV first. I believe in my article this file was called CGIINV.HTML (I'd have to go back and check to be for sure). 4). Error Message http://seattle:2001/html/cgiinv.html You are not authorized to view this page This leads me to believe that user profile QTMHHTTP or *PUBLIC do not have authority to the CGIINV member. This is a must. Also, for any CGI programs you want to run, user profile QTMHHTP1 or *PUBLIC must have authority to the programs. Hope this helps. Brad

Comment

RPG & CGI

This is a broad area. Is this for the Internet, a private network or for a frame relay network? If it is for the Internet, do you want two or more ISPs? Are you balancing in bound or out bound traffic? Do you have an application that will run on more than one host system? Do you want multiple host at multiple sites?

Comment

RPG & CGI

Jim, Let me try to give you as much info as I know. (which aint all that much when it comes to firewalls.) Is this for the Internet, a private network or for a frame relay network? Internet. If it is for the Internet, do you want two or more ISPs? Initial phase is one ISP will move to 2 mid next year. Are you balancing in bound or out bound traffic? Concern is over inbound traffic (Outbound is routed out through seperate firewalls and seperate comminication links) Do you have an application that will run on more than one host system ? We have multiple applications that run over multible host systems. Do you want multiple host at multiple sites? This phase is concerned only for single site (DRP is mid next year and will involve secondary sites.) Although the host DRP is already multi-site. Some more background. We have 2x SunScreen installed as the firewall (Public to DMZ) We have 4x Gauntlet installed as the firewall (DMZ to internal Network) We have 1x BlackHole installed as the firewall (DMZ to internal Network) Just started to look at RADWARE for load balancing and high availability (but given we have 9 ports/links on the DMZ to internal this looks quite messy and Im not sure if it wont create more problems than its worth.) I understand (been told) CheckPoint firewall has better flexibility for HA, but it is not as sufficiently secure for our requirements. The BlackHole firewall will be replace soon with Gauntlet (its hangs so often and the support is PC mentality support "fix the problem by reboot") We dont have a whole lot of expertise in this area, and Ive not been able to find much talking to other sites in the area. Thanks David

Comment

RPG & CGI

David One way to have redundant access to your network is to have lines from two seperate ISPs. Another is to have two lines from a single ISP. In each case you have seperate lines and seperate routers. If a line is down or a router is down, the other continues to work. On a private network, you can setup alternate routes and load balancing that would handle a breakdown wihtout interupting the user's session. If a user was logged into your AS/400 and the line they are using should go down, you can use a routing protocol like OSPF to switch over to an alternate route in the middle of the session. The user does not realize there is any problem. OSPF will not work on the Internet. If the session to the host goes through one ISP and that line goes down, then the traffic will not be rerouted to the other ISP. The user will lose their connection and have to reconnect. If you have two lines from a single ISP. You can balance between the two lines and prevent a disconnect if one of the lines to the ISP goes down. If you use two ISPs you may have to use two domain names. One domain will go through one ISP and another will go through another ISP. The users will be told of both ISPs and they will access the one that gives them the best response. If the host can not be accessed from one domain the user will try the other. If the users are your own employees and distributors, then this may be acceptable. If you are retailing a product with a domain name you advertise, this may not be acceptable. If you use two lines to an ISP, your time between outages will be measured in months. A large ISP like UUNET has a lot of redunance built into their own network. With two lines we have less than 2 hours of down time per year. This is lower than the average amount of down time we have from the power company. To get higher levels of availablity we would have to install power generators. We use two ISPs and two domain names. Our network is for our internal users and for our dealers and distrbutors. We do not sell retail. The use of two domain names is not a problem.

Comment

RPG & CGI

Exec /cgi-bin/* /QSYS.LIB/ROCHON.LIB/*.PGM %%EBCDIC%% What does the EBCDIC do in this directive? Does it somehow tell the server to convert the HTML from EBCDIC to ASCII? Thanks. Chris

Comment

The primary reason to use CGI programming on the AS/400 system is that you or your staff may already be very familiar with one of the AS/400 system programming languages. For example, if you already know RPG, it will be relatively simple to learn how to incorporate CGI processing techniques into an RPG program, compared with learning Net.Data or Java servlets.

When you write a CGI program, you have access to all of the AS/400 system programming tools and constructs that you are used to working with. For example, you can use native database operations in your CGI programs. You can also use string handling operations in the language to create the exact HTML statements that you need. Finally, you can use the same debugging tools that you work with for other types of application programs to help you quickly put your CGI program into production.

Comment

Working...
                  X