Configuring SMTP for sending e-mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring SMTP for sending e-mail

Hello folks, what are the steps to follow in order to have SMTP configured on the AS/400 and use SNDDST cmd ? I would like to investigate both the possibilities of having an external server that acts as a SMTP server and the AS/400 itself that is a SMTP server. Any help is appreciated. Regards, Simone

Here is a list of instructions I've accumulated from this site and others (As Always, use at own risk):

SMTP configuration

The following assumes that TCP has been previously configured. 1. Type CFGTCP, and select option 10. Create an entry with INTNETADR('999.99.999.999') HOSTNAME('server-name') TEXT('Mail server') 2. Select option 12 from CFGTCP menu (DNS Server address). Enter HOSTNAME('current system') DMNNAME('xx.com') HOSTSCHPTY(*REMOTE) INTNETADR('999.99.99.999') 3. CHGSMTPA AUTOSTART(*YES) MAILROUTER('server-name') 4. ADDDIRE USRID(INTERNET GATEWAY) URSD('Internet SMTP gateway') SYSNAME(INTERNET) PREFADR(NETUSRID *IBM ATCONTXT) 5. CHGDSTA SMTPRTE(INTERNET GATEWAY) 6. ENDTCPSVR *SMTP 7. ENDMSF 8. STRTCPSVR *SMTP 9. STRMSF 

Checking for errors

1. WRKACTJOB SBS(QSYSWRK), F14=Include Check the joblog on the following jobs: QMSF QTSMT* 

Clearing old messages

1. ENDTCPSVR *SMTP 2. CRTDTAARA DTAARA(QUSRSYS/QTMSCLEAN) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(1) VALUE('c') AUT(*ALL) 3. STRTCPSVR *SMTP 

Setting the correct time on mail messages

If the time of messages sent from the 400 is incorrect. The system value for QUTCOFFSET must be changed. To determine the value, double click on Windows time, select Time Zone. 

Attachments being Split or Converted

CHGPOPA MSGSPLIT(*NOMAX) 

Changing from address on messages

CHGDIRE USRID(usrprf system) USRDFNFLD((SMTPAUSRID SMTP name) (SMTPDMN SMTP XX.COM)) 

Sending a text message

SNDDST TYPE(*LMSG) TOINTNET((me@xx.com)) DSTD('This is the subject') LONGMSG('The is the message') 

Sending a document

1. CHGDOCD DOC(MYDOC) FLR(MYFLR) DOCD('Subject line') 2. SNDDST TYPE(*DOC) TOINTNET((me@xx.com)) DSTD(SUBJECT) DOC(MYDOC) FLR(MYFLR) 3. CHGDOCD DOC(MYDOC) FLR(MYFLR) DOCD('Document text') 

Comment

Thanks a lot, David

Comment

David, I do not understand something. We have 2 scenarios: 1) it is working properly; it uses an internal remote SMTP server, we have defined everything you said plus a TCP/IP route 2) an other AS/400 which is not in the local LAN, does not have on its local LAN a SMTP server. We would like to send e-mails from the AS/400 to the Lotus notes Clients inside that network. What are we missing ? The procedure seems not to work. Could you please give us a help ? Thanks, Simone

Comment

Unfortunately, I have no Lotus notes experience. Maybe someone can pick it up from here.

Comment

You can also find some information at IBM's Knowledge Base at: http://as400service.rochester.ibm.co...ument/10000051

Comment

Working...
            X