Limit CPU % used by Batch jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limit CPU % used by Batch jobs

This will not work under light loads when a batch job (running without contention) will use as much memory as the storage pool allows. You could create a dedicated pool with limited memory, and assign the subsystem to that pool. If contention is your concern, I would simply lower the priority of the jobs within that subsystem. In this manner, the jobs would run normally under light loads, but not interfere with other jobs (say interactive) when system activity is greater. Dave

Another thing you may want to do along with Dave suggestion is create another class and time slice for these jobs. After the class is created be sure you change the subsystem routing entry to use the new class. Ray

Comment

Another suggestion is turning on the Automatic Performance system value, QPFRADJ. My suggestion is a 2, at IPL and automatic. Often it won't react fast enough, but it's better than monitoring it yourself. Secondly, I don't know if you have the performance tools or not, but it often will show you problem spots. Type GO PERFORM at a command line to see the tools. Getting it all set up is a bit lengthy, but I'll be glad to help if you're interested.

Comment

Hey guys, Can anyone help me? What I want to be able to do is limit the CPU% used by batch jobs in QBATCH. Currently when a job is submitted to batch by a user it typically takes around 30-40% CPU, can I limit this to say 20%? Thanks Chris

Comment

Why do you wish to limit the CPU% used? In a "normal" configuration the batch jobs are running at priority 50 and are effectively the last jobs the receive any CPU i.e. higher priority jobs take precedence. If a job takes more than, say, 20%, it is because a) it needs it/can use it and b) there is processor available i.e there are no prior demands. Tell us more about what your requirement is...

Comment

Working...
          X