Replacing dial-up with permanent connection and not using the Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing dial-up with permanent connection and not using the Internet

Once you said "relatively inexpensive" you pretty much took everything out of the picture, but here's one scenario. Hook up a standard modem to a vacant com port and configure the line using the CRTLINASC command. Use the IBM redbook "Cool Title about the AS/400 and the Internet" to see how you can use this line as a remote intranet connection. The people in Utah need only have a PC and the appropriate IP address to establish a private intranet connection. Dave

What's the printer at the other end attached to? A remote controller, another AS/400, a PC? What other equipment have you got at the other end? Are your invoices in line printer format or do they have a DTP look? Dave...

Comment

Dave, At the Utah office we have an IBM 5394 controller with a dumb terminal and an HP printer attached via twinax. Peter

Comment

OK, that rules out some whacky things I was going to suggest. A leased line would be just too expensive, I presume? Dave...

Comment

Our objective is to connect our home office in Los Angeles to our office in Utah. There is currently a dial up connection but it is proving to be inadequate. Our sole purpose for this connection is to print invoices at this site. No one from Utah will even need to access the AS/400 in L.A. The president does not want to use the Internet for data transmission so VPN would be out of the question (Unless, I can guarantee him almost 100% security like that of a point to point leased connection. I don't think we're quite there, but I could be wrong...). Our system is an 9404-200 running V3R1 with a 2623 Comm Processor (I know it's time to upgrade...) We are not using Ethernet at the moment. Only SNA twinax at the moment. I was thinking about using some of the Perle products with Frame-Relay or ISDN (Does ISDN use the Internet?). Can anyone recommend any "relatively inexpensive" solutions. I would be interested in hearing any "outside the box" choices also (Faxing, etc). Estimates of the solutions would be of great help. Thanks, Peter

Comment

Dave, Well it looks like it might have to be Frame-Relay...Any ideas on how much a FRAD is going to cost? Peter

Comment

Working...
            X