Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

runrmtcmd notepad - yes; runrmtcmd - winword - no. Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• runrmtcmd notepad - yes; runrmtcmd - winword - no. Why?

Alright, so I've got my Windows NT configured to runrmtcmd. So, I try runrmtcmd cmd('c:winnt
    otepad.exe')... which works. Then, I try runrmtcmd('crogra~1micros~1officewinword.exe')... and Word don't appear. I see a dos window appear, quickly, then fade away. On the AS/400, I get a spool file with the message -- "The system cannot find the path specified." What's the path, then? Or is that the issue?

Answer -- Under my "program files" directory, I have a few different "micros*" directories. * Micros~1 points to "microsoft chat" * Micros~2 points to "microsoft frontpage" * Micros~3 points to "microsoft office" But that raises another question. How do you get runrmtcmd to point to winword.exe, without having to specify the path? Or is there away to specify the full path (long file name format)?

Comment

If you are enclosing a path in quotations you need to specify the full name of each subdirectory. 'c:Progra~1anyprog.exe' should be 'c:Program Filesanyprog.exe'

Comment

Just for fun and excitement try this instead and see if it makes any difference: RunRmtCmd('start winword.exe')... I'm not sure why but using START will magically use the existing DOS Path on that PC. Also, if you know the document name, then START will launch the appropriate program based on the file association: RunRmtCmd('start C:mydoc.doc')... And you can specify the full path with delimited double quotes: RunRmtCmd('start "C:my doc foldermy doc.doc" ')... Chris

Comment

Try this: 'start find.exe "pgmname" > IFS folder' then read the folder to get the path. bobh

Comment

Much grass! The start option works. But here's another problem -- When Word is executed, I look at the VBA side, to see if my macro under normal.dot is there. It aint. Why? And do I really need a userid and password with an NT client? Why is this different from 95/98?

Comment

As far full paths and specifying complete directories names, goes -- You all are saying you got to make this work, successfully?

Comment

On top of that -- If I use STRPCCMD instead, I can access my macro. What is STRPCCMD doing differently from RUNRMTCMD?

Comment

Working...
                X