AS/400 on the WEB--Disallowing certain users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS/400 on the WEB--Disallowing certain users

Do you mean hosting a web site on the AS/400, or access to your existing AS/400 applications? Dave

At this point, only signing onto the AS/400. We want to allow certain users access, and disallow any others. This includes telnet, CA, pass-thru's, etc. Thanks!

Comment

Rick - OK, I'm confused . . . if you don't want them to have access, don't give them a user profile! Or are you trying to prevent access via the Internet but allow access through the local LAN/WAN? Steve

Comment

No, its not quite that simple. We do not want any of our existing users to remotely access our 400. For example, they go home and start a telnet session. They already have an ID and PW. I guess we want to be able to have a "filter" only allowing certain users access.

Comment

Rick - You will have a hard time correlating users and IP addresses before the user signs onto your system since you can't match user and IP address (EX: I could be at 10.10.10.1 one day and 10.10.10.100 the next depending on the address assigned by my ISP if I have a dial-up connection.) You could interogate the IP address of the user's device using the QDCRDEVD API in an initial program and boot them back to a sign-on screen if they don't match your allowed users. HTH, Steve

Comment

I think you should look at exit program. This way you can control who is allowed to login. Unfortunatly, with the internet, security is a big issu so you may want to use some form of encryption to protect the user id and password that are send in clear text if not encrypted.

Comment

We are considering allowing internet access to the AS/400. We understanding the network technologies,firewalls, etc. Where we are finding difficulties is with the AS/400 and how to allow only certain users access via pass-thrus and workstations. We have looked into QRMTSIGN, its settings, and program. We are thinking the program option may be the way to do it and have found a modifiable sample of such. We simply are not sure what to do: is this the right approach or is there another way. Anyone who has been thru this---we would appreciate you advice! Thanks!

Comment

How about native AS/400 VPN? It's free with V4R4 and on, and you are in total control about who can access the system(s) in addition to firewall policy. Shawn Fu

Comment

Working...
                X