Accessing a users LDA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing a users LDA

This from the V5R1 CL Manual: Local Data Area A local data area is created for each job in the system, including autostart jobs, jobs started on the system by a reader, and subsystem monitor jobs. The system creates a local data area, which is initially filled with blanks, with a length of 1024 and type *CHAR. When you submit a job using the SBMJOB command, the value of the submitting job’s local data area is copied into the submitted job’s local data area. You can refer to your job’s local data area by specifying *LDA for the DTAARA keyword on the CHGDTAARA, RTVDTAARA, and DSPDTAARA commands or *LDA for the substring built-in function (%SST). The following is true of a local data area: v The local data area cannot be referred to from any other job. v You cannot create, delete, or allocate a local data area. v No library is associated with the local data area. v You cannot change the local data area in a secondary thread. v The ILE CL compiler generates code to ensure that a procedure running in a secondary thread cannot access the local data area while a procedure running in the initial thread is changing it. The local data area contents exist across routing step boundaries. Therefore, using a Transfer Job (TFRJOB), Transfer Batch Job (TFRBCHJOB), Reroute Job (RRTJOB), or Return (RETURN) command does not affect the contents of the local data area.

Accessing a users LDA

Mike said, quoting the IBM manual: "The following is true of a local data area: The local data area cannot be referred to from any other job." We have product called Peek Plus which, like pcAnywhere, lets us see what is on another user's screen in real time. It also lets us edit any user's LDA. So, it would appear, the IBM manual is all smoke. If Bytware can get at any job's LDA so can you. Now, having said that, I don't know how Peek does it but it certainly does do it. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Accessing a users LDA

PeekPlus includes some programs with the attribute "ASM"; DSPPGM shows the compiler as "Q38 ASM V1R1M0". You might look in the MI400 list at midrange.com, searching on RTVJOBLDA and following the thread about how to fix the program. If you want to follow the MI route, you might also want to get Leif Svalgaard's ebook at http://www.iseries400.org/. No updates since 2002, since it's a side project he works on as time permits. and check the official MI site at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iserie...f/mi/index.htm

Comment

Accessing a users LDA

Keeping in mind you need to do this while the user's job is still active: 1) Issue the STRSRVJOB command against the user's job. 2) Issue a DMPJOB command. Make sure that the JOBARA keyword is set to *ALL. This is the default. 3) In the spool file generated by the DMPJOB command, scan for "LOCAL" (no quotes). What follows is the job's LDA, hex on the left, alphanumeric on the right. 4) And don't forget to finish with an ENDSRVJOB.

Comment

Accessing a users LDA

For as long as I can remember every manual I've ever seen that covered the topic has been emphatic about the fact that the LDA and QTEMP are two things that no other Job can even SEE. And Peek Plus can actually CHANGE another job's LDA? Interesting.

Comment

Accessing a users LDA

mike, Not only can peek plus see the job, within peek plus I can "Grab" any job. I.E. I can take the job from either batch or another workstation and make it live on mine! Then I can do whatever I want to the job including looking at QTEMP. I have taken other jobs I can put it into debug, change a variable, end debug and send the job back to where it came. Alternatively, I can send a command to the job as if I were sitting at the command line for the job. Ever have a batch job that fails because it doesn't have a library in it's library list? No problem, just send the addlible command to the job and do a retry on the error. Or, ever want to get someone to signoff but they just don't? Normally you'd blow away their job and be done with it. With peek plus I just send a signoff command to the user. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "mikejsavino" wrote in message news:6ae9c18e.4@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > For as long as I can remember every manual I've ever seen that covered the topic has been emphatic about the fact that the LDA and QTEMP are two things that no other Job can even SEE. And Peek Plus can actually CHANGE another job's LDA? Interesting.

Comment

Accessing a users LDA

We currently log users off (using our own code ) if they are inactive for 20 mins. We end the users job gracefully but our system keeps a log of the number of users using this program. I need to be able to access the users LDA to obtain details to help reset certain flags , my question is - Is there and API to access a users LDA Thanks for any help George

Comment

Accessing a users LDA

Yup, Peek Plus is real handy. Works on both Batch and Interactive jobs (except disconnected ones, I think). It has its own security features & defaults, so we can allow some users to look at other users' screens for training purposes. It also has a "chat" facility that opens a window on your & the recipients' screen. It has a couple of minor bugs. I think BytWare doesn't pay much attention to it, more to Messenger Plus and the like. I wish BytWare would charge less for installing on multiple partitions. But I want everyone to charge less (except me), so that's kind of beside the point....

Comment

Working...
                X