IBM Certified Sr. System Engineer/Admin. - Consulting or Permanent Hire
Brian J. Burgoyne
Boca Raton, FL 33433
I am a valuable senior level technical professional with over 20 years experience in the IBM mid-range platform area (AS/400, RS/6000, iSeries and pSeries). I have held technical, managerial, and administrative positions throughout my career and am an effective communicator at all levels who understands true ROI in IBM technologies.
Systems/Platform Technical Experience
Mini/Mid-range: IBM i5, iSeries, AS/400e, AS/400(RISC/CISC), IBM pSeries, RS/6000, IBM HMC
Servers: HP, IBM, Compaq
Mainframe: IBM 4381, ES9000 - MVS/VM, AT&T
Operating Systems: IBM OS/400 V1-V5R4, AIX – V4.3/5.3, OS/2, MS -Windows (2000,XP), Novell NetWare SFT V2.15, V3.11, V3.12, and V4.10, Cisco IOS, MS-Windows NT(V3.51-4.0)
Communication Protocols: TCP/IP, SNA, SDLC, Anynet, IPX/SPX, NetBeui, NetBIOS, EIGRP
LAN/Emulation: IBM iSeries Access and Navigator, Client Access/400 Express, RUMBA/400,
Hummingbird, Attachmate Extra, ExtraX, and Reflection X
Utilities: IBM WebSphere Development Studio - (SDA, SEU, DFU, PDM, IDDU), Query 400, FTP
Server, IBMLink, ECS, OV/400, OS/2 LAPS, PC 5250 Emulation, LAN Support Program, OS/2
Communication Manager, MQ Series(AS/400), MPG Performance Navigator, TAATOOL product and Help/Systems Robot, Network, Console and Scheduler as well as Turnover.
Programming Languages: RPGIII, RPG400, COBOL, CL, SQL, BASIC, SPSS/X, DCL, Datatrieve
Office DEPOT, Inc. Global Headquarters / ACS, A Xerox Company , FL [May 08 – June 11]
Lead System Engineer – Enterprise Computing/ Infrastructure Management Consultant
• IBM OS/400 software product management (OS Upgrades and PTF management) project planning and implementation responsibilities. Webshere MQ upgrade and administration support.
• Project lead and management of IBM offshore staff augmentation contract. Responsible for implementation, development and review of S.O.W and IBM resources both in US and India.
• Assisted management in IBM software and hardware support contract management with recommendations for additional cost savings annually.
• Assisted in budgetary process and cost reductions with third party software contract renewals.
• System performance and capacity planning analysis and tuning for i5 OS platform.
• eCommerce load testing management and performance analysis for backend (iSeries) servers.
• Level 3 support for OS related issues across complex LPAR i5 systems environment for both domestic and international business systems.
• OS Security compliance remediation and audit data retrieval and analysis responsibilities to aid in corporate compliance related audits. (PCI and SOX)
Kerzner International North America, Inc. Plantation, FL [Nov. 03 – May 08]
Principal Systems Engineer/Sr. Technical Consultant (contract position initially)
• IBM systems manager for all iSeries, i5 (AS/400) computer systems domestic/international.
• IBM and third party software and vendor administration and account management.
• Budgetary management for all IBM and third party systems hardware and software.
• System performance management and capacity planning responsibilities.
• System security officer responsibilities and internal audit of security standards/policies.
• Change management administrator and product implementation lead resource (Turnover)
• Evaluate, recommend, and implement job automation/monitoring solutions (Help/Systems)
• Train, and supervise junior level administrators and operations staff on operational procedures.
• DataMirror product configuration and DBA support administrator (Transformation Server)
• High Availability (MIMIX) project manager for implementation and HA Administrator.
PharMerica, Inc. Tampa, FL [Aug. 03 – Oct. 03]
Sr. Systems Engineer Consultant (temporary contract position)
• Technical project manager for large iSeries(AS/400) environment Data Center relocation project.
• Review, analyze and recommend system level security improvements for critical pharmaceutical application for regulation compliance (HIPPA).
• Project manager for large systems (15 machines) OS upgrade to V5R2 and documentation.
• Review and recommend OS level maintenance strategies to remain current and stable with numerous package and custom applications environment.
CITCO Technology Management, Inc. Ft. Lauderdale, FL [Jan. 99 – Apr. 03]
IBM Midrange Systems Manager
• Manage and architect overall IBM mid-range systems platform on a worldwide basis.
• Determine and meet budgetary requirements through vigorous vendor relationship
management. (Negotiated first worldwide IBM IVO purchase agreement for CITCO)
• Management, design and planning for global consolidation of AS/400 systems utilizing LPAR technologies to meet corporate infrastructure strategy.
• Planned, designed and executed procedures for Disaster Recovery strategy.
• Project manager for any/all performance and capacity planning for all environments.
• Provided expert system security recommendations to IT Audit for corporate security policies.
• Standardized worldwide IBM hardware and software maintenance support contracts.
• Supervise AS/400 system administrators and operation staff(12) in diverse cultures globally.
• Provide terms and conditions for data center SLA contracts relating to IBM systems
management for outsourcing contract. (EDS Switzerland)
• Architect, evaluated, and managed implementation of HA solution (Vision Suite) for Europe.
• Pivotal role in evaluation, recommendation and on going support of enterprise security
auditing system. (PentaSafe/NetIQ)
• Managed all 3rd party software licensing, upgrades and maintenance levels.
• Evaluated latest IBM technologies to determine and implement solutions to keep systems at
current supported levels.
• Established system operational documentation for standardized technical procedures and trained international operations staff.
PRIMUS Telecommunications Inc. (TRESCOM USA) Ft. Lauderdale, FL [May 96 – Jan. 99]
Manager of Systems Integration
• Responsible for corporate LAN/WAN and IT Help Desk departments supporting approximately 300 nodes in multiple locations interconnected to multiple AS/400 and HP hosts environment.
• Budget management and complete procurement responsibilities for all PC and LAN/WAN equipment and technical resources.
• Designed and implemented WAN integration of branch sales offices for LAN and AS/400.
• Designed and configured Internet access to integrate into existing IP LAN and Novell LAN for corporate Internet e-mail and browsing capabilities.
• Project management, supervision, and recruitment of technical staff for networking and desktop.
• Training, coordination, implementation, and supervision of corporate Help Desk system(TrackIT).
DAS ENTERPRISES, INC. Boca Raton, FL [Nov. 95 - May 96]
Sr. Systems Consultant (BlockBuster Entertainment Inc.)
• Senior technical analyst supporting large multi-system AS/400 environment.
• Advised and documented as well as tested Disaster Recovery plan for IBM AS/400s.
• MIMIX (HA software), JD Edwards, and system utilities upgrades and technical support.
• Security projects advisor and administration support for all AS/400 systems.
• Key role providing AS/400 communications support and remote site connectivity projects.
• PC/LAN to AS/400 connectivity specialist to consult in TCP/IP and FSIOP configuration/design.
• Supervision and training to other support staff in technical capacity.
SIRIUS COMPUTER SOLUTIONS San Antonio, Texas [Aug. 93 - Nov.95]
Senior Systems Engineer/Consultant (IBM Premier Business Partner)
• Network design and integration consultant for clients implementing LAN and IBM solutions.
• Technical instructor for AS/400 Operations, CL Programming, and PC Support/400(Client Access).
• AS/400 communication and networking project design, implementation, and documentation.
• Internal networking and PC technical support resource and client telephone technical support.
• Pre and post sales technical support for account executives in AS/400 and LAN solutions.
• Novell product information certified for reseller authorization and CNE course completion.
INSIGHT BUSINESS CONSULTANTS LTD. Mississauga, Ontario [1990 - 1993]
AS/400 Systems Engineer (IBM Business Partner)
• S/38 to AS/400 migration consulting and actual conversion project management for clients.
• Systems engineer assigned to multiple client sites for various AS/400 and PS/2 projects.
IBM Certified Systems Specialist Certifications Novell Certification
iSeries System Administrator - V5R3 C.N.A. – V4.1
iSeries Technical Solutions Implementor - V5R1 C.N.E. – V4.1, V3.11/V3.12
AS/400 System Administrator – OS/400 V4R4
Sheridan College of Applied Arts and Sciences (Ontario, Canada)
Computer Sciences degree, 1984
References Available Upon Request