Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 173

Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 190

Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 191

Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 197

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 6509

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 212

Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 251

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 4998

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1585

Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1601

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb5/route/profile.php on line 74
Mixing Service Programs into a non-ILE environment - MC Press Online Forums

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixing Service Programs into a non-ILE environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing Service Programs into a non-ILE environment

Hello,
    We have a custom software system written mostly in RPG II for the System 36 environment. We are finally going to be starting to convert some of the more important programs into RPG IV, so we can take advantage of the language upgrades, improve maintainability & new development, and so we can play well with others, if we need to.
    Part of the intent of conversion process is to start modularizing code, as far as we can, that currently is reused through copy and pasting. I really like the concept of having a Service Program (or two) to centralize common routines, but I'm not sure my programmers or I understand ILE enough to see the overall impact of moving to an ILE environment. And we aren't going to be starting from scratch or redoing every single program, so we hadn't been thinking along these lines at all before.

Is it possible to have a few Service Programs living among mostly non-ILE programs?
    Or is only partially adopting the practice, just asking for too many complications down the road?

Any advice (or directions to resources to follow up on my own) would be hugely appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Elizabeth

hi elizabeth:

the first step, in my opinion, would be to convert the programs to rpg/iv. it will not take out the fixed format of the coding, but it will bring the code into the 20th century, so you could start creating code with ile aspects.

to me, the larger problem would be to change your OCL to CL or CLLE. this is a huge undertaking.

once you have made your jump to rpg/iv, then start with the implementation of service programs.

also, a good reference for service programs and procedures and prototyping can be found at the MC bookstore and here

-sarge

Comment

Hi Sarge,
      We are using TARGET400 to help with the conversion process and because of the way the programmer created the system, the analysis showed that we actually will not have a very hard time at all with the OCL conversions. He did not use data areas for parameters. Instead we have multiple copies of programs (i.e. one for standalone, one for called use, etc.) So more code to update when a single change is needed because it must exist across multiple routines, but it makes our OCL procedure remarkable simplistic. Thank god for that.

A lot of the reading of Service programs and all has come across as if one was starting new development and thus can be treated as an across the board approach. I'm really trying to find out if it can be intertwined piecemeal reliably with a non-ILE environment. I'm hesistant to pay $100+ for something that may only have a small chapter about this or a few paragraphs in the introduction, so I'm hoping for related experiences.

Thank you!
      Elizabeth

Comment

Hi Elizabeth,

Here is a forum thread that I was involved in a while back that talked about activation groups between OPM and ILE. Has some information in it that you may find useful.

Originally posted by T.Snyder View Post
        Activation Groups: OPM and ILE
        Tom
        Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2010, 11:55 AM. Reason: Quote Formatting

Comment

i agree with you about getting what you pay for.

the reason i posted that one, even though i have not personally viewed the dvds, is 1) that i know the quality of product put out by the author, 2) they are 3 DVDs in the series, not just a few paragraphs, 3) as they are DVDs, you can mark them and review them, 4) they'll play on you PCs (usually) so you can then set aside either "group learning time" or individual time during the week to get educated.

i would suggest looking at the demo on the website and then make a decision. heck, by now, you might even find them on Amazon or eBay!

-sarge

Comment

We also have a few ILE modules and Service Pgms co-existing with plain ole' RPG IV programs. Dealing the same Copy and Paste profusion . . . What you want to do is to separate out business logic rules from other things, like Database CRUD programs and screen pgms. ( OK, separating out Database is often too hard because RPG is so database dependent. But UI should be split out.) Then these "business logic rule modules - be they plain ole RPGLE or SRVPGM - can be used in SQL UDFT functions and reused in RPG calls. For this, the biggest advantage you will gain is using Prototyped Parms. Also, Free form just helps with clarity and readability sooooo much. Those are my three - redesign with an eye to business rule extraction, prototypes (for safety in calling business rules & using SQL and modern calling styles) and /Free for readability-maintainability.

Comment

I'm definitely aware of the ideal targets for reworking our important programs, though what I'm not clear on is how much we'll be able to really do. I'm from another language background so having a centralized service program (or a few) to have only one place certain processes are handled strongly appeals, but I'm really asking if you can have a few of them that interact with other programs when the majority of the application will not be ILE or possibly even moved out of the S36 environment.
              It sounds like from these posts it is possible and is done, but I was hoping for more information/experiences with potential problems or roadblocks or if there really aren't any for a mixed environment application.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X