IBM Promises Greater Availability with xSeries Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Promises Greater Availability with xSeries Servers

** This thread discusses the article: IBM Promises Greater Availability with xSeries Servers **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: IBM Promises Greater Availability with xSeries Servers **

** This thread discusses the article: IBM Promises Greater Availability with xSeries Servers **
    Is this article believable? Why? Why not? I'm an I.S. Mgr. needing to replace an aging Dell Server. We are a direct marketing company. The owner likes to buy from another direct marketing company. In recent years, all our PCs have been purchased from Dell. Do you think I should be pushing for our next Server to be a xSeries? What additional evidence can you document to support your position. Help!?!

Comment

Frank We buy all of our servers and desktops from Dell. I've purchased thousands of PCs from Dell over the last 6 years now and wouldn't go anywhere else. The service, for desktops and Win servers, is superior to IBM. And the price is much better. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Frank Whittemore" wrote in message news:5bfa6d5a.0@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | Is this article believable? | | Why? | | Why not? | | I'm an I.S. Mgr. needing to replace an aging Dell Server. We are a direct marketing company. The owner likes to buy from another direct marketing company. In recent years, all our PCs have been purchased from Dell. | | Do you think I should be pushing for our next Server to be a xSeries? | | What additional evidence can you document to support your position. | | Help!?!

Comment

Chuck - Thanks for your response. Do the rest of you have any "food for thought" on this subject?

Comment

> Is this article believable? Believable that a vendor would say their product is the best? Err, umm. > I'm an I.S. Mgr. needing to replace an aging Dell Server. We are a direct marketing company. The owner likes to buy from another direct marketing company. In recent years, all our PCs have been purchased from Dell. Well your owner sure has an interesting take on purchasing. I guess it's a moot point since IBM direct markets their servers as well. IMO, I believe it's a non-issue. Depending upon the software mix on your server, you'll have many more problems with the software than the hardware. As an anecdote to reliability, I've replaced more IBM drives in my AS/400 than I have replaced Maxtor drives in my PC's. I'll no longer buy Maxtor drives for PC's. I'm glad the IBM drives are covered by maintenance - but that doesn't help if I lose 2 drives in my Raid array. I guess if I were advising someone, I'd just recommend that vendor that can supply the best post-install support and best maintenance response. When it comes to purchasing support, both vendors are a crap shoot. More than once, I have received a note from them advising a delay in shipment of several weeks - only to have the item arrive the next day (Dell has done this more than once - it's almost habitual). Bill

Comment

Working...
          X