IBM Encourages Customers to Upgrade Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Encourages Customers to Upgrade Now

** This thread discusses the article: IBM Encourages Customers to Upgrade Now **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: IBM Encourages Customers to Upgrade Now **

** This thread discusses the article: IBM Encourages Customers to Upgrade Now **
    I would only do that if the 520 is guaranteed to support V6R1 otherwise it's just postponing the inevitable. While IBM has not given any hints about the end of support for V5R3, it is unlikely that V5R3 will be supported for too much longer. It was announced in May of 2004. End of marketing has been announced for early January of 2008. I would expect to see end of support within two years after that. The previous two releases had about 18 months of support once marketing ended.

Comment

As a customer who is at v5r4 and passed the V6r1 check successfully, with an 810 and an 12 35 GB drives, I think, it's best to wait for power6. SAS drives will probably allow more DASD in the main cabinet. It's also time for memory prices to drop. Therefor, selling the 810 afer a side by side upgrade to a company who is happy to move to CPW 1000 box, would be my choice.

Comment

Working...
      X