IBM to Migrate iSeries off Proprietary Technologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM to Migrate iSeries off Proprietary Technologies

** This thread discusses the article: IBM to Migrate iSeries off Proprietary Technologies **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: IBM to Migrate iSeries off Proprietary Technologies **

** This thread discusses the article: IBM to Migrate iSeries off Proprietary Technologies **
    Let me understand this. The iSeries will have less connectivity, 1gb ethernet cards can't be used with SNA from one AS/400 to another, twinax will disapper, etc. Those people who trusted IBM and stayed with twinax instead of purchasing numerous PC servers and migrating code to the PCs will be out of luck. You know, when a 250 gb hard drive from CompUSA works as well as the IBM SCSI drives but costs 1/50th of the price per gb, somebody better figure this out. About the 1gb ethernet card ... if IBM followed the standard communications hierarchy there would be no need to drop SNA. Somebody in marketing or some inexperienced college grad who worked for IBM decided that we shouldn't be using SNA, SDLC, etc. as well as twinax. The hardware/software service is nothing like it used to be. Many of us are FORMER business partners. Now we either steer our clients to cheaper used computers or we watch them go with what is now a reliable PC platform.

Comment

In reference to the OS/400 Load Source drives you refer to "the next OS/400 release." Is this refering to V5R4 or the release after that?

Comment

As one who still works with, and migrates S/36 code I know how important backwards compatiblity is to an organization. That being said, I think that it is about time that SSP support is eliminated. IMO, the only reason that the code persists is unwillingness of managements to budget a native migration effort as long as the support is available. Stability of this code has proven itself for over two decades starting with the S/34. It's now about time to move on. Dave

Comment

said: "Those people who trusted IBM and stayed with twinax instead of purchasing numerous PC servers and migrating code to the PCs will be out of luck." If you base your business or carrer decisions on trusting a vendor then you probably deserve to be "out of luck." IBM's pattern has been clear. They promoted Topview heavily. Now it's gone. They promoted OS/2 heavily. Now it's gone. There are number of technologies that have followed this pattern. Anyone who hasn't seen IBM's M.O. by now is a little naive. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

> Shane asked, "In reference to the OS/400 Load Source drives you refer to "the next OS/400 release." Is this refering to V5R4 or the release after that?"
            I was referring to the release after OS/400 V5R3. I do believe that IBM will call it V5R4, though it might come up with a different name. At any rate, "V5R4" will definitely not fit on an 8GB load source disk.

Comment

Working...
            X