Upgrading to the i5: Options and Considerations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to the i5: Options and Considerations

** This thread discusses the article: Upgrading to the i5: Options and Considerations **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Upgrading to the i5: Options and Considerations **

** This thread discusses the article: Upgrading to the i5: Options and Considerations **
    Lee, When you state that a 270 can't upgrade to an I5, do you mean that this is not an IBM upgrade feature, or do you really mean "can't"? My client has a model 620 near the end of its usefulness, and the I5 seems to be the way to go. I don't see why the backup and restore of relevant libraries couldn't take place. Is there something else that should be known? Dave

Comment

David, Upgrade, in IBM's terms, has always meant "keep the same serial number." So, the fact that there's no upgrade path means that they'll need to purchase a new machine with a new serial number. This could have significant financial ramifications depending on how they handle their accounting. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "David Abramowitz" wrote in message news:6aeb5d56.0@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Lee, > > When you state that a 270 can't upgrade to an I5, do you mean that this is not an IBM upgrade feature, or do you really mean "can't"? > > My client has a model 620 near the end of its usefulness, and the I5 seems to be the way to go. I don't see why the backup and restore of relevant libraries couldn't take place. Is there something else that should be known? > > Dave

Comment

David, I mean that there is no IBM upgrade feature that can get you from a 270 to an i5. When IBM talks about upgrade paths, it always means "a conversion package you can order that gets you from server A to server B while preserving server A's serial number and many of its components." Sure...anyone can do a backup/restore to a new server and sell the old one, but that's a much different animal from a financial and technical point of view. And you're right...for many (or even most) customers, migrating (rather than upgrading) to the i5 from the 7xx and older servers makes a lot of sense. Lee Kroon

Comment

Working...
        X