Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM vs. Microsoft in the Midrange

** This thread discusses the article: IBM vs. Microsoft in the Midrange **
    Robert Dean said: "2) Forced OEMs that wanted to bundle Windows to bundle Office." Of course, until recently, those wishing to purchase an AS/400 or iSeries was forced to purchase OS/400. A forced bundle that you must have. But the anti-Microsoft crowd doesn't see that in the same light as a PC with Windows. Currently you can purchase other OS's for the i5 but can you purchase them from anybody other than IBM? The PC world is abundant with choices. Why do most choose Microsoft? Because it's "good enough" and most of the world doesn't want to be bothered with choices when it comes to their computer. Either they are intimidated or just don't care. Just as I don't care which OS and software runs on my cell phone, just as long as I can make a call. I started to see cheap PCs, under $200, at Fry's in the early fall and they didn't include anything but FREE software. Linux, OpenOffice, etc. That stopped about 2 months ago so I can only presume that they got a ton of backlash from customers that got the machine home, found out it didn't come with Windows and a Microsoft package (Office or Works) and promptly returned them. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Joe: Did you not read Thomas' column? I'll repeat the relevent section: i5/OS is now even portable to the IBM p5 Power Processors. That's right! You can now get a CD of the operating system and load it onto an IBM Power 5 eServer p5 piece of hardware, and it will run flawlessly. In fact, the same Power 5 processor that runs the newest i5 is exactly (and I mean exactly!) the same one that runs in the IBM p5 (once called the pSeries). Imagine that! IBM is actually merging the hardware platforms! What will they think of next? I don't know why Thomas sounds amazed. iSeries and pSeries hardware has been virtually idential for years now anyways. i and p have simply been the same machine but branded differently and targetted to different markets. semifor is right. If you have to choose between an iSeries and a pSeries, the only differentiating factor is that iSeries will run a legacy RPG or COBOL app. Both machines run Linux/Posix code, which offer the most flexibility (that is in terms of commodity hardware and a wide range of high productivuty tools). If you have no legacy OS/400 code, there's no good reason to start now writing new legacy OS/400 code. q

Comment

To the degree that this post referred to Microsoft Office, neither cost nor technology were the primary factors. Using the Windows monopoly to control distribution of Office and undercut the leading products they couldn't compete with is. Now they have two monopolies. rd

Comment

My company is loosing customers because they have no clue what an AS/400 / iSeries / i5 is. Newer management staff have never heard of it because IBM has not and is not marketing it. Even the new (not)add that everyone is talking about does nothing to increase name awareness. It does not imprint the machine name on the viewer. It looks just like (even same actors) all of IBMs other ads. Why would anybody think of using this machine anymore if it has no legitmate, promoted user interface. It used to 5250, but that has been put down instead of extended. Now the operating system it self uses an interface that IBM has de-legitmized by calling it legacy. Then they provided no replacement. Webshere is not a replacement because it cannot be used to run the operating system commands (without also using a 5250 emulator). Why would I run Websphere on an iSeries if I can run it cheaper on anything and every other platform. And don't give me that tired old line about the iseries doing it better. My experiences with Web serving and file serving from the iSeries have shown it to be far too slow compared to a (pardon my french) Windows machine. Yes, I have been a loyal fan of the machine going all the way back to R1 of the S/38. We didn't even have an SDA back then. But IBM has screwed this machine over with what it has said in its marketing and by not effectively marketing this wonderful platform. I understand the business basis for this path, but that does not ease my frustration or pay the rent. Shane.

Comment

Many valid points said here BUT My company is loosing customers because they have no clue what an AS/400 / iSeries / i5 is. Newer management staff have never heard of it because IBM has not and is not marketing it. Even the new (not)add that everyone is talking about does nothing to increase name awareness. It does not imprint the machine name on the viewer. It looks just like (even same actors) all of IBMs other ads. Why would anybody think of using this machine anymore if it has no legitmate, promoted user interface. It used to 5250, but that has been put down instead of extended. Now the operating system it self uses an interface that IBM has de-legitmized by calling it legacy. Then they provided no replacement. Webshere is not a replacement because it cannot be used to run the operating system commands (without also using a 5250 emulator). Why would I run Websphere on an iSeries if I can run it cheaper on anything and every other platform. And don't give me that tired old line about the iseries doing it better. My experiences with Web serving and file serving from the iSeries have shown it to be far too slow compared to a (pardon my french) Windows machine. Yes, I have been a loyal fan of the machine going all the way back to R1 of the S/38. We didn't even have an SDA back then. But IBM has screwed this machine over with what it has said in its marketing and by not effectively marketing this wonderful platform. I understand the business basis for this path, but that does not ease my frustration or pay the rent. Shane. This post should be made the epitaph for the AS/400/iseries/i5/ad nauseam's headstone. It says it all, eloquently. May the AS/400 rest in peace. rd

Comment

Microsoft is coming to iSeries? Zoweeeeee! Now we will be seeing the Blue Screen of Death on an iSeries also. Yay. Never dreamed of that in my 25 years of S3x/400. Now I can see it coming!!!

Comment

Working...
              X