X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Oracle Courts PeopleSoft's iSeries Users

** This thread discusses the article: Oracle Courts PeopleSoft's iSeries Users **
    IOM, what made Oracle a success was its sales force! They can sell like no others. However, I don't respect their techniques. In a Fortune magazine article circa 1998 Larry Ellison stated that he would do anything to close a sale including lying to the customer or cheating. To Ellison there is no barrier which he won't cross to make a sale. Consequently, I'll do anything possible to avoid purchasing anything sold by Oracle. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Leave a comment:

• TonyT
    Guest replied

** This thread discusses the article: Oracle Courts PeopleSoft's iSeries Users **
    Dave said "Within four years Oracle will spin the J.D.E. products into a separate company." I beg to disagree... Oracle will keep JDE for good and let it die to its natural death. The main reason why ORACLE acquired Peoplesoft/JDE is to have a footprint in the I5 platform. Once they can acquire whatever technology they wanted on the I5 by sucking JDE of its juices, they can cannibalize it like a junk car.

Leave a comment:

• David Abramowitz
    replied

Nobody asked me, but here's my $.02 Within four years Oracle will spin the J.D.E. products into a separate company. Dave

Leave a comment:

• TonyT
    Guest replied

Guys, What made Oracle a success story, is not because of its database engine, but the 4GL tools that made data access, manipulation and presentation a breeze without a sweat. A no brainer for management to make their programmers focus on business rules/processes rather than the technical jargon. It has been tried and tested by small, medium and large companies running simple to complex applications, that is why it's a winner. Remember companys wants "BUSINESS SOLUTIONS" first and foremost. The underlying technology is only incidental. It killed DEC even with its powerful VAX/VMS by squeezing its revenues by providing alternative and superior programming tools and DBMS. And if history repeats itself... it will be a battle royale between "RPG, CL and DB2" vs. Oracle in the I5. Who will win?

Leave a comment:

• J.Pluta
    replied

Hee hee! Man, I may disagree with you on some things, Ralph, but your comments never fail to make your point. And in this case I happen to agree; moving from a stable enterprise suite to a cobbled together OOWPS conglomeration running in a non-OS/400 partition is definitely a "worst of all worlds" scenario. I only wish a competent JDE consulting firm would figure out that my tool is a perfect way to give World users a GUI interface without having to migrate to whatever Oracle is selling as a solution. Joe

Leave a comment:

• R.Daugherty
    replied

The point is, Oracle "porting" its database to AIX and Linux partitions (Oracle already runs under AIX and Linux - a "port" would consist of copying IBM's instructions for starting up an LPAR using OS/400 commands, possibly adding only benign smilies) has nothing to do with supporting "PeopleSoft iseries customers", a euphemism for the many still running JDE World who were concerned about being forced to migrate to OneWorld. Imagine their delight that they will now be forced to migrate to an Oracle ERP that includes selected features from PeopleSoft and OneWorld that passes Ellison's smell test. Granted, that customer list is vaunted and any software company would want to convert this flock, but "porting" Oracle to an AS/400 LPAR as marketing babble for support won't fool any AS/400 World customers. rd

Leave a comment:

• TonyT
    Guest replied

My 2 cents... Oracle will use its 4GL tools like SQLFORMS to access I5 DB2 in writing new applications or re-engineering the JDE package instead of using the traditional RPG as a transition ( short term fix ). In the long run, they will swap from I5 DB2 to Oracle for low cost maintenance and personnel consolidation. It's a win-win for current JDE customers and Oracle. They will get a tried and tested 4GL tools with GUI capabilities and a superior database engine for the same application package. Expect to see JOB POSTINGS for Iseries like this one " Knowledge of I5 and Oracle tools a must"

Leave a comment:

• M.Savino
    replied

Ralph, I don't see how the WORLD Product could use the Oracle DB either. It's virtually 100% Native I/O. The JDE WORLD development work-bench has little if any support for SQLRPG, SQLRPGLE, etc. The CASE tool cranks out RPG code using Native I/O and calls to File Server programs that also use native I/O. Basically if it's not good ole CLP or RPG, it's a pain in the you-know-what to even compile a program using their tools. IMO, getting WORLD to talk to Oracle would mean a major over-haul of the WORLD code and I don't think that's gonna happen. My limited experience with OneWorld makes me think that it could be done for that Product since it's Data Access seems to be SQL based. But why anyone (other than Oracle) would WANT to do that is another question. Mike

Leave a comment:

• R.Daugherty
    replied

The article says that Oracle announced it is going to port its database to the AIX and Linux partitions of the AS/400 as part of supporting IBM iseries customers, that is to say specifically, the JD Edwards RPG ERP on the AS/400. As a general technical question, what are the options of accessing a database in a different partition on the AS/400 from an RPG ERP that is any different from anywhere else on a network, that is, all the various TCP/IP connectivity options for accessing other systems anywhere? In addition, assuming that the answer that there is no such option is still the correct technical answer, of what possible benefit is there to a JD Edward RPG ERP written against DB2/400 if Oracle is running in another partition, even assuming TCP/IP transport connectivity? Some magical DDM like intercept that takes all I/O and shoots it to Oracle? And of course, lastly, why would anybody do that? rd

Leave a comment:

• MCWebsite.Staff
    replied

This is a discussion about Oracle Courts PeopleSoft's iSeries Users.

Click here for the article.

Leave a comment:

• buck.calabro@commsoft.net
    Guest replied

I know I'm late to the party, but here goes anyway. > I borrowed the following industry list from > another web site. It offered to match interested > parties with software vendors. Many would > never require a complex back end program for > any part of their business, yet all contribute to > the US economy. -snip- > Distribution / Wholesale Trade -snip- After 17 years in Wholesale Paper I can most assuredly tell you that we had very complex back end processing programs. I now work in the telecom industry and can assure you that complex back end processing is the norm rather than the exception. > How would a dual mode (presentation layer and > separate back end) system benefit these companies? I guess I misunderstand the question since all interactive programs have a display layer and a processing layer. Maybe you mean that having a browser as UI with separate RPG programs to process them has no added benefit? Aside from the modern UI, you're probably right. Although virtually everyone is howling for a more modern UI these days... > I also have a problem ignoring the large pink > elephant in the room. How do you explain the > existance of competent ERP systems not written > on the AS/400 or using any RPG dialect? > Am I contradicting a law of physics here? Not at all. I don't think anyone here has advocated ONLY RPG for back end processing. Rather, that RPG is better than SQL for the back end work. Since this is an iSeries forum, I think we can safely assume that iSeries programmers are reading this thread. :-) Other platforms certainly have different options and different trade-offs. > End users are quite good at retrieving what they > need without IT's help. Have you noticed this yet? I haven't, but my customers are medium sized telecom companies, and perhaps they aren't in the same demographic you're thinking of.

Leave a comment:

• R.Daugherty
    replied

RPG and COBOL, nor SQL for that matter, have nothing to do with a user interface. Also, SQL is quite old itself, perhaps older than the RPG chain opcode. There are reasons for both, and what IT developers think is popular should be the least of any reasons to use either one. I/O and UI are two different issues. For example, Delphi has native I/O in the most advanced GUI that exists, along with SQL. There is no reason not to think of RPG in the same way. In my opinion, only because of IBM's marching orders for Websphere and SQL in Java was the natural migration to a native GUI user interface for RPG on the AS/400 in Rochester crushed by Armonk. rd

Leave a comment:

• David Abramowitz
    replied

TonyT pontificated: I'm sure this is not the mentality of most IT developers. More's the pity. Dave

Leave a comment:

• TonyT
    Guest replied

RD said: "It will take awhile for business to realize that RPG and COBOL was the basis of decades of cost effective business software that they will soon be longing for again, and that the AS/400 is the computer to run that software" This is like the military longing for the times when people are throwing stones during battle. Life was so simple then... Ahhh, those were the GOOD OLD DAYS. And I'm sure this is not the mentality of most IT developers. We need Stars Wars like technology in-line with user requirements for life is getting more complicated each time we breath the winds of change...

Leave a comment:

• R.Daugherty
    replied

Interesting article today on slashdot from an SAP Netweaver architect on merging ABAP and Java processes to run concurrently in as solid an environment as SAP provides, this by creating a modified JVM based on Sun's embedded process JVM to run with ABAP's VM. One slashdot reader says that ABAP is jokingly referred to as German COBOL. Much of Peoplesoft was also based on COBOL. It will take awhile for business to realize that RPG and COBOL was the basis of decades of cost effective business software that they will soon be longing for again, and that the AS/400 is the computer to run that software. rd

Leave a comment:

Working...
X