January 2006 News Round Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January 2006 News Round Up

I would like know what the MC eServer Insight readership thinks about the advent of MS Vista and if readers think Vista might someday rival the value proposition of i5/OS in in the marketplace. If yes, then, why and how and if no, then, why not? Thank you. Maria A. DeGiglio Author of January 2006 News Round Up

I was going to say no, based on the following factors. i5/OS, and all other "mainframe" type OS's, are essentially built on the following priorities (in no special order): 1). Stability; 2). Scalability; 3). Security; 4). Backwards compatibility. Windows, and all other PC (and smaller device) OS's are built on the following priorities (again, no special order): 1). Consumer appropriate price point; 2). Rapid adoption of new technologies; 3). Ease of use; 4). Marketing-friendly feature sets. As long as this holds true, it's difficult for either to tread too strongly on the other's markets. They sell to different people for different reasons. However, the reality is that Windows has come a long way in sophistication from it's 16-bit roots. You could say the same about i5/OS, but Windows has come much further, faster. For many applications, Windows is now "good enough". Although never Microsoft's top priorities, the i5/OS strengths slowly get incorporated into Windows. Also, although I hesitate to push the point very far, I believe that i5/OS is responding to competitive pressures and evolving more quickly now. It has to appear relevant for today's organizations. IBM has to respond to Microsoft (among other competitors, but MS has to be one of the biggies) without appearing to be playing Microsoft's game. So the issue is that, for many companies and applications, Microsoft is a cheaper way of implementing systems. Yes, I know all the TCO arguments. They are missing the point that Microsoft dominates the low end of systems, and the functionality those low end systems encompass continually grows. I believe that this is just a component of the larger technology tends. In nearly all areas of computing, the low end becomes the default. Many hard drives are now both "big enough" and "fast enough". CPU's are "powerful enough". RAM is cheap and plentiful. The commoditization of technology is an outgrowth of the exponential growth curves those technologies have been on for decades now. As vendors like Microsoft fight to avoid commoditization, they borrow ideas and techniques from the high end of computing. So bit by bit, small systems chip away at the strongholds of large systems.

Comment

This is a discussion about January 2006 News Round Up.

Click here for the article.

Comment

I'm in the very-small business market, which I know is a different market, but in terms of future trends for our operating systems, as a business owner I am working hard to avoid getting on the software subscription bandwagon any more than I have to. For us that is a higher priority than virtually any of the features they could add to commodity items. The vendors fight hard to create annual revenue streams, and we fight hard to make sure our software dollars are spent on things that really make a difference for our business. I want to pay as few vendors as possible every time I hire an additional employee. I know that's not a direct answer to your question, but it is our priority 'value proposition' in regards to operating systems and other commodity software. Brian

Comment

Working...
        X