Microsoft Makes Overtures to Mid-Size Businesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Makes Overtures to Mid-Size Businesses

** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Makes Overtures to Mid-Size Businesses **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Microsoft Makes Overtures to Mid-Size Businesses **

** This thread discusses the article: Microsoft Makes Overtures to Mid-Size Businesses **
    Treat the users as a cult, bash the competition to the extreme, and preach to the choir. This was common in the early 1990's when people wanted to use non-IBM products. It is still common today. Users are not stupid. Hence the decline over the years in AS/400 sales. Using an opposite strategy would have probably allowed the AS/400 to remain at the top....

Comment

Another Microsoft bashing? Do you really think anyone cares? People will not stop using Microsoft products just because you are mildly sarcastic about the company and its future plans. This is indicitive of the biggest problem that has always faced the AS/400 ... Treat the users as a cult, bash the competition to the extreme, and preach to the choir. This was common in the early 1990's when people wanted to use non-IBM products. It is still common today. Users are not stupid. Hence the decline over the years in AS/400 sales. Using an opposite strategy would have probably allowed the AS/400 to remain at the top.

Comment

What in the article was Microsoft bashing? I thought the points were well laid out and actually quite even handed. The only vaguely negative thing mentioned was that Microsoft can't seem to get Longhorn out the door, which seems to be the case. And that Microsoft is aiming at territory pretty much owned by the iSeries, and that's definitely true. Bashing? Hardly. Methinks thou doth protest too much! Joe

Comment

> Users are not stupid. Of course many of them are. Otherwise Beta would have won over VHS and OS/2 would have won over Windows. Bill

Comment

It would be interesting to collect a volume of "stupid user", or "stupid manager" anecdotes. Dave

Comment

Bill, Your reply presumes that superior quality is the only choice in making a purchasing decision. That, IMO, it short sighted and one might argue the path that stupid consumers would travel. Using your example... Choosing VHS over Beta is the "smart" decision for many reasons. 1. The recording devices are more readily available and cheaper. 2. The recording media is plentiful and cheaper. 3. The available repair personnel are more easily found. 4. The life cycle of the product is better. 5. Improvements in products appear quicker. If, however, you absolutely, positively MUST have the highest quality without regard to other factors then it would make sense to choose Beta over VHS. But, most consumers, and this includes corporate consumers, make decisions based upon ALL inputs not just one. It's the "smart" way to purchase. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Bill" wrote in message news:44A4872CD7CFF3E5662CD1518A2DEC81@in.WebX.Wawy ahGHajS... >> Users are not stupid. > > Of course many of them are. Otherwise Beta would have won over VHS and > OS/2 would have won over Windows. > > Bill > >

Comment

Chuck Ackerman wrote: > Your reply presumes that superior quality is the only choice in > making a purchasing decision. That, IMO, it short sighted and one > might argue the path that stupid consumers would travel. > > Using your example... Choosing VHS over Beta is the "smart" decision > for many reasons. 1. The recording devices are more readily > available and cheaper. Not at the height of the format wars. The same answer applies to your other points. Want to know why VHS won? A prime example was overheard by a Costco salesperson when asked by a shopper which format they should buy: "VHS records 6 hours, Beta records 4.5. Which do you want?" Now, if you think that selecting a VCR format based upon time allowed instead of visual quality is the appropriate decision, then I would imagine you think cars should be selected upon MPG instead of reliability. > 2. The recording media is plentiful and cheaper. 3. The available repair personnel are more easily found. 4. > The life cycle of the product is better. 5. Improvements in products appear quicker. Totally erroneous. Sony implemented around 3 improvements in (their already superior) picture quality before Super VHS appeared. Bill

Comment

Bill, I think you're taking my extension of VHS vs. Beta and running too deep with it. My example was to say that many inputs should be used when making a purchasing decision. Often quality is not at the top nor may it even be second on the list. If all of the products in the list have quality that is "good enough" for the application then quality shouldn't even be a part of the decision making. As and aside... - In the height of the VHS v. Beta wars Beta could only record 1 hour and VHS 2 hours. I know because in 1978 I purchased a VHS machine for that reason. I wanted to be able to record movies off the "Z channel" of my cable provider and Beta couldn't do it. In 1978 I was thrilled that I could record a movie and watch it later, the quality of the movie wasn't even a part of my decision to buy VHS. - Costco was founded in 1983 long after the VHS vs. Beta was decided. - Beta lost because JVC was smarter than Sony. JVC licensed the VHS technology to many manufacturers so as to flood the market and gain market share. Sony has shown over they years that they are near sighted and won't license their technology to others. It has hurt them on a number of products. Apple has the Sony syndrome. Had apple licensed the Mac operating system to many manufacturers in 1984, as Microsoft later did with Windows, we'd all be using the Mac OS today. It's amazing how corporate arrogance, as in the case of Apple and Sony, has lost many opportunities for industry dominance. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Bill" wrote in message news:50434F3118F658F13DC0F61009119DE8@in.WebX.Wawy ahGHajS... > Chuck Ackerman wrote: >> Your reply presumes that superior quality is the only choice in >> making a purchasing decision. That, IMO, it short sighted and one >> might argue the path that stupid consumers would travel. >> >> Using your example... Choosing VHS over Beta is the "smart" decision >> for many reasons. 1. The recording devices are more readily >> available and cheaper. > > Not at the height of the format wars. The same answer applies to your > other points. > > Want to know why VHS won? A prime example was overheard by a Costco > salesperson when asked by a shopper which format they should buy: "VHS > records 6 hours, Beta records 4.5. Which do you want?" Now, if you think > that selecting a VCR format based upon time allowed instead of visual > quality is the appropriate decision, then I would imagine you think cars > should be selected upon MPG instead of reliability. > >> 2. The recording media is plentiful and cheaper. 3. The available > repair personnel are more easily found. 4. >> The life cycle of the product is better. > > 5. Improvements in products appear quicker. > > Totally erroneous. Sony implemented around 3 improvements in (their > already superior) picture quality before Super VHS appeared. > > Bill > >

Comment

Working...
                  X