Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Launches System i5 Servers

** This thread discusses the article: IBM Launches System i5 Servers **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: IBM Launches System i5 Servers **

IBM Launches System i5 Servers

From article: The feature, known as Accelerator for System i5, removes the "governor" that prevents Value and Express Edition servers from utilizing their processor's full capacity. Removing the governor is as simple as applying an install key, which costs $13,500. Question: Why would IBM charge an additional amount to sell a non-crippled computer if all it takes to fix it is to run a program? Why would it be crippled in the first place? Was this a mistake in the article?

Comment

IBM got out of the commodity hardware business when they sold their PC business to Lenovo. IBM puts one (1) 1.9 GHz Power5 in the i520 (cost apx. $21800 for full capacity or $8300 for 1/5 capacity). Microsoft puts three (3) 3.2 GHz Power5 processors plus cache in the XBox (cost apx. $500). It's pretty remarkable how inexpensive processors really are. This underscores that IBM is in the business of selling applications, and application capacity. Bundling the price of applications with the price of hardware is a business stragegy. It simplifies the number of choices a customer has (or, is able) to make, and positions the platform as an integrated solution, rather than a commodity. Nathan Andelin

Comment

I thought comparing GHz of disparate processor families went away years ago. Comparing simple hardware characteristics this way is like saying, "my dad can beat up your dad." I DO know that my "entry level" single processor 520 that runs at 2400 CPW can handle much MORE workload than our quad processor Xeon Intel CPU. And, the comparison is not even close. BTW, that quad Xeon processor machine wasn't cheap. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "nandelin15" wrote in message news:6b33c206.1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > IBM got out of the commodity hardware business when they sold their PC > business to Lenovo. > > IBM puts one (1) 1.9 GHz Power5 in the i520 (cost apx. $21800 for full > capacity or $8300 for 1/5 capacity). > > Microsoft puts three (3) 3.2 GHz Power5 processors plus cache in the XBox > (cost apx. $500). It's pretty remarkable how inexpensive processors really > are. > > This underscores that IBM is in the business of selling applications, and > application capacity. > > Bundling the price of applications with the price of hardware is a > business stragegy. It simplifies the number of choices a customer has (or, > is able) to make, and positions the platform as an integrated solution, > rather than a commodity. > > Nathan Andelin

Comment

"I thought comparing GHz of disparate processor families went away years ago." I'm not sure what what you mean by disparate processor families. My understanding is that Xbox uses Power5 chips, bought from IBM, that are manufactured on the same assembly line as the Power5 chips used in the i5. I think the configurations are slightly different, but the processors are essentially identical. Packaging may be different. On the other hand, what the heck, IBM is offering a 3100 CPW server, with i5/OS for about 21K, which is a pretty good deal.

Comment

I think the Xbox uses PowerPC chips, not a Power5+ Two disparate chips. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "nandelin15" wrote in message news:6b33c206.3@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > "I thought comparing GHz of disparate processor families went away years > ago." > > I'm not sure what what you mean by disparate processor families. My > understanding is that Xbox uses Power5 chips, bought from IBM, that are > manufactured on the same assembly line as the Power5 chips used in the i5. > I think the configurations are slightly different, but the processors are > essentially identical. Packaging may be different. > > On the other hand, what the heck, IBM is offering a 3100 CPW server, with > i5/OS for about 21K, which is a pretty good deal.

Comment

You might want to see a quote from Frank Soltis: "Microsoft's decision to use three Power5 chips in its Xbox game systems" http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh051704-story02.html Here is a link to Xbox specifications: http://news.com.com/Xbox+specs+revea...3-5705372.html

Comment

Can any tell me where I can find out more information about the new release of i5/OS V5R4. Thank You very much.

Comment

Working...
                X