February Brings Big Changes to System i Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** This thread discusses the article: February Brings Big Changes to System i Community **
    Sent to George Farr farr@ca.ibm.com As a long time vocal advocate for the use of WDSC as the best toolset on the road to application modernization, I had some great expectations for the new release. Sure enough, some great features were announced such as data table view and improved SQL support. Replacing the CODE navigator and designer with Application Diagram and Screen Designer is just super. And that’s where the party ends. Why are these two features moved to the advanced edition? The standard edition has clearly been the replacement for the green screen world and these features were included in the CODE section of WDSC for many releases. The advanced edition is supposed to include all the features of the standard edition and (as per the AWDTOOLS web site) “an added set premium tools to help accelerate the development of sophisticated, fully J2EE-compliant Java applications”. Application Diagram and Screen Designer are not for building Java applications and should be included in the standard edition. They are components that are already paid for and some IBM marketing yahoo has made a huge mistake in trying to force customers to cough up more money for an edition that most are not ready for. As far as I’m concerned, IBM customers shouldn’t bother ordering WDSC 7 until this is corrected.

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: February Brings Big Changes to System i Community **
      Bill Barnes wrote: > The "nice" things that WDSc are supposed to do, are difficult to > figure out. I got DEBUG to work, sort of, once and haven't been able > to get it to work since. That's unfortunate. Debug is working wonderfully for me, in fact the debugger alone has paid for itself. i've been having a heck of a time with RPG modules/service programs that I'm using as SQL Function logic and I'd just about be lost if I didn't have the Debugger. All I have to do is to tell it the program I want to debug (in this case I have to select the Service Program button), enter the job name to debug information and go. Bill

Comment

Working...
      X