X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "When you're wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically"

"When you're wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically."
    Dale Carnegie

(I had to borrow one of Joe Pluta's techniques.)

I'm the one who posted the $1510 per seat price for RDPi. (I like Joe's name--at least I like it if we have to live through another branding change.) It wasn't speculation. I posted it because that's what IBM was showing at the time. In a follow up blog to the one where I quoted (not speculated) the price, it's written:

Turns out, the confusion was caused by a mistake on the Web page, which had originally only listed the price for a "floating user" license ($1,510), which is new for RDP. The only type of user license available for RDi is/was an "authorized user" ($860). Even that price is higher than you may remember from the original RDi pricing. Turns out Rational has been increasing most of their software prices slightly each year--and not just the client-based development tools.

I'm sure Mr. Chu should be aware of this. I probably wouldn't normally respond to this, but I'm not that happy about $860 per seat. Okay, I could probably even live with that, but what I don't like (because we don't have a budget for it) is the $172 per user per year that translates into for annual support costs. (Oh, and don't forget to add an a roughly equal amount per developer for Heritage compilers plus ILE compilers.) It turns out that going to 6.1 will cost us as much or more in software maintenance for our development tools (compilers and developer seats) than we pay for our entire hardware and software support in the old structure. None of this goes over too well in a small shop like ours.

RDi Pricing

Thanks for the clarification, Mike. I wasn't quite sure what to make of that so it helps to learn from where it came. Joe Pluta has done articles on the pricing of RDi (WDSc) in the past so I'm sure he's quite interested in how this is playing out. George Farr, who at the time was the Rational product line manager for System i tools, has discussed pricing at user group gatherings, and I came away with the impression that IBM doesn't want to price the tool out of reach of developers, but the company does want to cover its costs for maintaining and improving it. I also got the impression IBM is sensitive to the different abilities of various organizations to pay what you pointed out are gradually increasing prices. You might want to discuss the idea of a special nonprofit price with the folks at Rational--I think they would listen to your concerns. I'll try to come up with a name for you of someone at Rational you might speak with about this issue.

Comment

The quote from Mr. Carnegie speaks volumes and does work very well for professional sportsman, politicians, defendants, and spelling-bee participants...To quickly douse the flame of blame...anyway.

However I believe Dale's wife was absolutely stone deaf. So you probably don't necessarily want to follow that motto with your significant other...

That motto morphs usually into something like..."When your wrong, say it quietly to the dog, and pat him on the head emphatically. When you hear "Wha'd you just say to me?...Oh nothing honey, I was just talking to the dog...Works for me. ;-)

Comment

Yes, taking the audience into account is oftentimes necessary for the prudent husba... er, politician.

Comment

Working...
        X