Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women in IT: Find Us If You Can

** This thread discusses the article: Women in IT: Find Us If You Can **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Women in IT: Find Us If You Can **

Women in IT: Find Us If You Can

women are more likely to be lower in seniority than men in their department, and where seniority is not a factor some managers would prefer to lay off a woman who has a husband to support her than a less qualified male coworker. although i certainly know women who have left IT because they were tired of the oncall duties or burned out on the death marches, more of them were let go or figured they would go in the next round of layoffs and got out ahead of it.

Comment

Maria A. DeGiglio wrote: "A lot of women have hit the proverbial glass ceiling, and many felt IT was far too demanding, thankless, and even demoralizing." Heck, many men feel the same. In my own department, more men than women have left for careers outside of IT.

Comment

Wow! Maria's writings of late have been delving deep into the heart of human interaction, corporate politics and policies, and have a ring of truth. Life in the IT lane is full of bumps, twists, turns, and outright collisions at times.

Comment

If in fact, more women than men have left IT, as a percentage of their gender, let's write it off to their intelligence. Anyone with a lick of sense would have gotten out by Year 2001. I'm still in it. I guess that says it all.

Comment

Hans. It is funny how women would stereo type women I have never worked in a shop that did not have a female I.T. manager. That includes both Canada and USA. One can see in RPG, the long list of female heavyweights. I must admit sadly, that most of the successful female Managers that I worked with, had a very bad marital life, or none at all. But so is the case with many men. Probably more women than men are unwilling to make this sacrifice. By the way, in my shop, there are two Southern ladies in their late thirties, Managers, beautiful, educated, rich, church going, sporty (NASCAR fans), full of life, never married

Comment

Hassan wrote: "It is funny how women would stereo type women " ;-) Clearly, women are their own worst enemies. (My wife would back me up on that!) At one time, 3 out of my 4 immediate managers were women. Today, my 2 immediate managers are women. The successful I.T. career does take its toll on ones personal life. It's disheartening to see the number of people who are divorced or on their 2nd or 3rd marriages. As for me, I've just about had enough of it too. Maybe mid-life crisis hits men harder than women? I'm not sure what I'll be doing 6 months from now, but I think I'd rather not be in I.T. Cheers! Hans

Comment

Working...
              X