• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Pretext for Deceit

** This thread discusses the article: A Pretext for Deceit **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: A Pretext for Deceit **

A Pretext for Deceit

If you are in the habit of surfing, which almost all North Americans are, then you should have seen a message flashing across the scree, "Congratulations, you just won ...". If you are stupid enough to click, which I dont think you are, you will be prompted to enter your information such as email, phone# etc. This is not the same as phishing where you receive an email from ebay, paypal, or citibank saying your account info is outdated and when you click, you get the right screen but the address bar shows the wrong website address!!! I never fell for phishing or pretexting but indeed I did fall yesterday. I bought something from Office Depot and I got a message prompting me to enter into a short survey for a $25 coupon. Since it was not a popup, and a message from Office Depot website, I clicked it. When I was prompted to enter my personal info, it raised red flags. I realized I was not on Office Depot website. Why would it ask for my personal info that Office Depot already has e.g. address, email, etc?

Comment

A Pretext for Deceit

Joel, "Many people would say it's the practice of using a "false pretext," but that would be redundant because the dictionary definition of "pretext" is a misleading or untrue reason given for something". Wouldn't you have a false pretense instead of a false pretext? Someone who uses pretexting to get information is doing so under false pretenses. I wonder! Are there true pretenses? Or is false pretense redundant? Since pretext already implies lying, wouldn't a false pretext be telling the truth? The false would modify pretext turning the lie into a truth. Just a few thoughts during my Saturday night true pretense of "working". Tom.

Comment

A Pretext for Deceit

false pretense = true pretext from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/false+pretense false pretense n. Law False representation of fact or circumstance, calculated to mislead.

Comment

A Pretext for Deceit

Hi Tom, You sent me to my dictionary ... well, the dictionary that Microsoft generously provides access to with Word. Pretense means:[*] insincere or feigned behavior,[*] unwarranted claim, or[*] make-believe So, yes, pretense already includes a sense being false, so a "false pretense" would also be redundant. Although, as you point out, it is a double falsehood which, I suppose, would, indeed, turn a false pretext or pretense into a truth. However, I don't think that's the intent when people say "false pretext" or "false pretense." Why did I spend so much time responding? You may be have been making a true pretense of working, but I'm doing no such thing. I'm not pretending to do anything other than what I'm actually doing, which is trying to find an excuse for taking a break from writing my next tirade, which is already past due.

Comment

A Pretext for Deceit

Talk about redundant, I responded to Tom's message before reading below it to see that Ralph had already provided a perfectly suitable (and much shorter) answer. Thanks Ralph, not just for answering Tom's question, but also for giving me the opportunity to post this response and further delay my return to writing the next tirade.

Comment

A Pretext for Deceit

which we await with expectation, be it true or false, or this, from Wikipedia, may best describe our reactions to your next tirade: In the case of uncertainty, expectation is what is considered the most likely to happen. An expectation, which is a belief that is centred on the future, may or may not be realistic. A less advantageous result gives rise to the emotion of disappointment. If something happens that is not at all expected it is a surprise. end quote I reserve the remainder of my time to figuring out whether a Nash equilibrium constitutes a correct and stable expectation. rd

Comment

Working...
              X