Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four! What It's Worth!

** This thread discusses the article: Four! What It's Worth! **
    This is a discussion about Four! What It's Worth!.

Click here for the article.

Four! What It's Worth!

You folks are truly becoming number one spot for SeriesI. The only other thing I would like to see is a really strong SQL contributor (or is that Skip M.?)

Comment

Four! What It's Worth!

As a person constantly involved in training rookies, I always recommended Bob Cozzi for beginers and Scott Klement for advanced users. When it comes to PARis-garTNER, I recommend them to all. They can explain the most complex things in the simplest of layman language. I hope their new role would not slow down their rewrite of the Red Book, but rather speed teaming up with Paul Tuohy.

Comment

Four! What It's Worth!

That's quite a line up there! Do you have a list of subject topics they plan to cover? I guess I'm wondering how much material I have already seen at COMMON. Will they all be participating in the forums? 3 of those 4 don't, or do so anonymously. I posted Paul a question on his web services article from March but he never responded. Joe Pluta is an active forum member here and a wonderful author. He responds to posted questions. Sometimes I don't "get it" without some further explanation. Once nice thing about Bob Cozzi's newsletter is he touched on new topics, API's, things I could apply right away in a business environment, like writing messages to a job log. ... Plug-n-Play code. Thanks! Looking forward to all the new newsletter. Chris

Comment

Four! What It's Worth!

This will be great! I'm certain they will Please Please Me with their vast knowledge. I've spent many A Hard Day's Night struggling with code. Many times I've had to yell for Help! So, I look forward to their Magical Mystery Tour of articles.

Comment

Four! What It's Worth!

Are you a BEATLES fan????

Comment

Four! What It's Worth!

Skip will certainly be our lead for SQL content, but both Paul and Susan have also been teaching SQL for many years (as indeed have I). So you need have no fears that this vital area of application development will be ignored. Jon P. Hmmmm - someone seems to have misplaced my avatar - have to check where that has gone to!

Comment

Four! What It's Worth!

Thanks Hassan - we appreciate the comments. I'm afraid the Redbook has slowed to a crawl again - but we hope to remedy that during the next few months. Jon P.

Comment

Four! What It's Worth!

Hi Chris, We do intend to participate as much as we can, but as many of you will be aware both Paul and I spend a lot of time on other forums - we're going to have to try to even things out in that regard. One of the problems I have is in making this work via email. I need to be able to respond when I'm on the road - and that often means with no internet access during the day. I'm surprised if Paul didn't respond to you - although he had some major grief with email a while back so that may account for it. As to topics we are working to come up with a mix of "old" and new. I say old in quotes because for many some "old" topics (e.g. subprocedures) may be new. Would you believe that Intro to Subprocs is still one of the highest attended sessions at both COMMON and just about every other conference we do! We welcome any and all suggestions for topics - what are you having trouble doing and perhaps as importantly - what _did_ you have trouble doing that you think others could benefit from. You just pose the problem and we'll do the writing. Jon P.

Comment

Four! What It's Worth!

If only "When I'm 64" wasn't getting dangerously close to the truth! Jon P.

Comment

Four! What It's Worth!

The Beatles were the music of my teen years - and I still get a kick out of listening to it. The new mix by Giles(?) Martin for the Cirque show LOVE in Vegas is amazing. The show itself is even better - I spent the first 10 minutes convinced that my brain was going to explode! Jon P.

Comment

Four! What It's Worth!

Hi Chris, Jon put his finger on it with my e-mail problems - I wasn't aware that a question had been posted ! (I'm sure I was sent a notification about it). My apologies Chris - I always, always try to reply to questions, even if it only to say "I don't know". I will go back and check it when I get back to base on Friday (better be a simple question I can answer!).

Comment

Four! What It's Worth!

Here it is... question Thanks. Chris

Comment

Four! What It's Worth!

I have done a number of little projects using VARPG, but recently I have gotten the feeling that IBM is trying to retire this product. Please tell me that IBM is planning to continue this great little tool! But in reality, how likely is it that it will remain a viable tool for new project development in the years to come?

Comment

Four! What It's Worth!

Hi Layton, part of the problem right now is that I don't think IBM know what to do with it! They have a number of significant customers (mostly in Europe) who depend on the tool. However, continuing to support it presents many problems. For example you will have noticed that it looks more like a Win 98 product than a Win200 or XP - and as for Vista... The UI component (along with many other of the "pieces" of which VARPG is built) are no longer supported by their original product owners. As a result each new release puts more work on the Toronto team that owns the product - but they don't get a red cent in revenue because of it. I've always liked the tool, and still think it has potential - but right now its future is uncertain. If you were considering starting out with VARPG today I'd advise you not to do it. But since you are already invested, I see no real harm in continuing to use the tool. As a minimum, IBM is likely to offer you a migration path even if they move away from the tool. The most likely replacement candidate is EGL (or whatever it is called this week) - I believe that if you contact your BP before (I think) the end of July you can invoke your entitlement to a V7 license for the tool - after that you'll have to pay. Hope this helps. Jon P.

Comment

Working...
                              X