Long in the Tooth Query/400 Gets a Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long in the Tooth Query/400 Gets a Replacement

** This thread discusses the article: Long in the Tooth Query/400 Gets a Replacement **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Long in the Tooth Query/400 Gets a Replacement **

** This thread discusses the article: Long in the Tooth Query/400 Gets a Replacement **
    Does this query tool allow for a batch process to kick off the query? Many of these reporting tools do not have API's or ways of doing this. There are many benefits but this limitation becomes a real problem.

Comment

Is this a free product for the System/i? How/where can we get it? Definitely second idaschne's question about batch generation.

Comment

It sounds like a good product, but it won't be entirely free. Unlike the current Query/400, the unlimited licensing is not included with the base install of web query. As stated in the FAQ from IBM web site: "This upgrade provides entitlement of DB2 Web Query for System i in the same processor group as the entitlement to IBM Query for iSeries which is being upgraded. It includes an entitlement to the base product and the base quantity of users. Additional users and options are available for a charge." One other thought. The reason Query/400 is long in the tooth is because IBM never bothered to develop it. I've been using it for over a decade and there have been very few changes. I realize that IBM probably wanted to move on to SQL, but imagine what RPG would be like if it had been neglected like Query/400.

Comment

There is a lot more to this than initially meets the eye. Please go to www.ngsi.com/company/db2webquery.html for more information about this product. You can also learn alot about the installation process by reading this blog: http://projectdream.org/wordpress/20...stem-i-v1r1m0/

Comment

Great inforation. It's worse than I thought it was. Sounds like the price could get pretty steep. And another thing, who wants to have to deal with two vendors for a solution like this. I just wonder if IBM will force users to move to it in a future release. If so, a lot of users will be shopping around for another solution.

Comment

"Question from Jtaylor: Can DB2 Web Query be used in batch mode? Drmack says: DB2 Query offers similar batch reporting capabilities to Query/400...you can output the data to a DB2 file or spoolfile with the interactive usage, the output options are much more robust or, with the add-on "Report Caster" feature you can run the queries in batch on a scheduled basis and dump the result into e-mail with all kinds of output options" from: http://www.isociety.org/Chat20070815.html

Comment

I really can't understand how IBM can send this product to customers without be sure of the installation process, really complex, after two days I'm unable even to know if it is installed, sure I will need seat down and take a entire week. Please if anybody have succesfull installed it, write here the steps. Other problem is the size for all the install and ptf needed, really a problem in small 515 or 520 models. Also I don't understand why it uses a different java based http application server and not the IBM websphere.

Comment

I would suggest that the reason they use a different application server is that they are using the query technology developed by Information Builders (specifically their Web Focus product) so they had no choice since this technology is tightly bundled to the application server.

Comment

I saw Web Query demo given by IBM to Jacksonville 400 users group. The emphasis in the demo was on no cost replacement to current Query/400 users as far as licensing went. AFAIR there was a couple of development seats included and as much access as current Query/400 users have (I don't have any idea what current licensing is for that). My impression at time of demo was that server was built in by Information Builders (the FOCUS people who adapted their product for IBM), and I didn't ask at the time, but I asked another Rochester IBM'er in another demo who mentioned a new server specifically about the Web Query server and he said it's a new lightweight server (web/JSP/etc.) for the i5 which can be used instead of Websphere. The impression I got from demo was beta level for products, including the server. There is additional capability with the Web Query product and additional development and power user seats can be purchased, but only if you want to develop additional capabilities not found in Query/400. AFAIR this was exceptionally well done in that Query/400 queries continues to work as well as being used by Web Query. I have commented somewhere on the powerful interface it has. It appears to be a Java interface based on my research, although IBM is quick to trot out the AJAX buzzword as anyone not using the buzzword will be overhyped by others not as shy (not that Java can't use AJAX calls as well but I mean Javascript AJAX). It looked to me like the main component using AJAX was a query screen builder app. I don't have any idea about install though, I just saw the demo. Bottom line, this is a well positioned product that improves access, enhances current capability without destroying it, and provided as alternative at same cost. Can't see anything to complain about except for difficulties installing and getting working, which probably fall under beta caveat, unless it's officially released now. rd

Comment

Working...
                    X