• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Virus Wars

** This thread discusses the article: The Virus Wars **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: The Virus Wars **

The Virus Wars

It seems that there have always been plenty of people who would rather destroy things than build them. I think it is because it is easier to destroy than to create. The virus writers are not really creating anything. They are just taking someone else's work and finding the cracks. That way they can just destroy. Unfortunately, I think it is in human nature that if you cannot have what someone has or do what someone else has done, then let's blow it up. If I cannot have it, neither can they.

Comment

The Virus Wars

Your idea is equivalent to paying terrorist to not be terrorists. There is only one solution - eliminate them! At the very least, we should lock them up in a cell with no access to the internet or a computer. You don't negotiate with terrorists, cancer, or hackers! Evil comes in many forms!

Comment

The Virus Wars

Feel free to call me Joel rather than Mr. Klebanoff. "Mr. Klebanoff" makes me feel too much like the age that I really am. I didn't think that anyone would take me seriously. I would much prefer to hand these people up by their fingernails and then set wild beasts loose to eat their flesh. (I'm a liberal Canadian who is opposed to capital punishment, but I might make an exception for virus writers.) Then again, you have to find people before you can punish them. I doubt that these people would make themselves known to us if we told them that we were going to punish them severely if they do. However, they might step out into the light of day if we slyly lure them there with an offer of some money, and maybe some milk and cookies while we are at it. (Turning serious for just 30 seconds, I absolutely agree with you. You should not negotiate with terrorists. Period.)

Comment

The Virus Wars

Unfortunately, I think it is in human nature that if you cannot have what someone has or do what someone else has done, then let's blow it up. If I cannot have it, neither can they.
          It sounds rather childish when you put it that way. I'd prefer to think of these people as evil rather than childish. Although, I admit that I cannot, for the life of me, imagine what motivates these people.

Comment

The Virus Wars

I think there's a connection between a lot of virus writers, and those who do "lift" numbers from servers and other kinds of perfidy. There's been reference to some of them being attempts to transform systems, be they PC's or servers, into relays for spam and phising attacks. What also gets me is things like the messages that keep coming from Nigeria. Ricoh can be used to bankrupt a legitimate and innocent billionaire overnight in the U.S., but they can't touch these folks? Alan

Comment

The Virus Wars

Alan said:
              What also gets me is things like the messages that keep coming from Nigeria.
              Do you mean that Ms. Seisi Seiko doesn't really have $20 million tied up in a Nigerian bank account that she can free up if I'll just lend her $10,000??? Oh my!! Actually, I addressed that in an earlier tirade about spam. Obviously some people must fall for that ploy or the e-mails wouldn't keep overflowing my in box. It is just so hard to believe that so many people have either not heard or are not willing to take heed of the old Better Business Bureau motto: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." That being said, I get the sense that the people sending out this stuff are not the same people devising and propagating viruses, trojan horses, etc. But I could easily be wrong about that.

Comment

The Virus Wars

Joel, I see where you are coming from now. Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

Working...
                X