• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text Non-Communication

** This thread discusses the article: Text Non-Communication **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Text Non-Communication **

Text Non-Communication

Text messaging has its place, for the most part conversations on the telephone are far superior. I live in the US and have family in the UK. Text messaging is great for the same reason that Email is great. I don't have to worry about the time zones. But it's superior; because some members of my family are nervous computers, or just don't check their mail frequently enough. I also video conference across the internet with some other members of my family, this is a cheap way to commence a VC without paying expensive connection fees but it's a sure way to page someone, at least as sure as phoning them to see if it’s a convenient time. Apart from that, I also find the whole texting process a little over hipped, but I do think as time goes on it will become more and more useful as telephones and PDA's become more key friendly. Remember this is already a big money maker for the telephone companies, they will ensure it continues to grow making it more and more useful for all !

Comment

Text Non-Communication

Are you sure you want the miscreant's firstborn? I've heard text messaging is genetic... By the time the child is 6 they may be text messaging you! A thought just occurred to me. Perhaps the youngster in question is already 6 or more years old. Gaaahh!!!

Comment

Text Non-Communication

There is a big difference between text messaging and email: Cost. I have 5 cell phones in my family, all Verizon. Verizon charges per text message. Therefore, I have disabled text messaging for all 5 phones. Email comes free with my ISP. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Tom Battholomew" wrote in message news:6aec5ad4.1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Text messaging has its place, for the most part conversations on the telephone are far superior. I live in the US and have family in the UK. Text messaging is great for the same reason that Email is great. I don't have to worry about the time zones. But it's superior; because some members of my family are nervous computers, or just don't check their mail frequently enough. > > I also video conference across the internet with some other members of my family, this is a cheap way to commence a VC without paying expensive connection fees but it's a sure way to page someone, at least as sure as phoning them to see if it's a convenient time. > > Apart from that, I also find the whole texting process a little over hipped, but I do think as time goes on it will become more and more useful as telephones and PDA's become more key friendly. Remember this is already a big money maker for the telephone companies, they will ensure it continues to grow making it more and more useful for all !

Comment

Text Non-Communication

Brian Harder said:
          Are you sure you want the miscreant's firstborn? I've heard text messaging is genetic... By the time the child is 6 they may be text messaging you!
          Once I have him/her, I won't let the miscreant's child have a cell phone -- no dessert for them if they disobey. Before you ask, no, I'm not a parent.

Comment

Text Non-Communication

I picked up a free blackberry at PartnerWorld last spring. I hated it because I was used to PDAs so I gave it to my wayward son. He's in Cambodia and Thailand, traveling all the time. It's great. My advice to you Joel is simple. Have a kid and then send him or her to a third-world country. Lot's cheaper than keeping them around the house. Give 'em a blackberry, and you'll never have to worry. If they text-message for more bucks too often, plug 'em into your spam filter. It's a done deal -- a great solution with built in plausible deniability. Oh yeah! What's he doing in Cambodia? See http://www.humantranslation.org Imagine building a website with a pda...... Technology is wonderful.

Comment

Text Non-Communication

Thomas, Thanks for the suggestion. Don't get me wrong, I actually like kids, but if I ever have a son I'll be sure to take your advice about getting him a BlackBerry and sending him to the third-world. I've never experienced fatherhood ... Is you suggestion something that is doable in the diaper stage? Sounds like a good plan to me. About your closing sentence, "Technology is wonderful." I certainly hope not. Otherwise my tirade series is not going to last long.

Comment

Working...
              X