Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PC Obsolescence Conspiracy

** This thread discusses the article: The PC Obsolescence Conspiracy **
    JimmyJimmy did say "in most cases ". but that is within my own environment. I wouldn't ask the art department to produce a catalog using a low end PC or the engineering staff to create CAD drawings on an e-machine. But I would not deploy a similar PC to the person who uses a spreadsheet/word processing application for creating schedules/memos. In fact, I grudge giving some users a PC at all ! I just feel that too many users feel they are being left out of something if they don't get the high end stuff. There is nothing in Excel 2003 that "we" HAVE to have. Office 97 still does its job but we are forced to upgrade because of compatibility problems. It is a racket that Microsoft and Intel are running, GO LINUX !

Comment

The PC Obsolescence Conspiracy

** This thread discusses the article: The PC Obsolescence Conspiracy **
      I believe that the existing PC design concept is obsolete. A single processor system with OSs barely capable of handling multiple processors and a limited memory and bus design is hardly the wave of the future. What you can buy from Dell right now is not that much different in concept from what IBM had available 20 years ago. We should be getting much more sophisticated modular designs than are available. It's ridiculous that in order to run bigger apps we have to buy ever more powerful CPUs. It makes sense from a pure economic view (capitalism and planned obsolescence for renewing markets at low cost) but is no good for users. I think that the future of PCs is not going to be established in the US. It will probably happen in China, Japan or Taiwan as they are already building most of the existing physical designs anyways. Intel is perpetuating the old PC technologies in order to maintain their lock on old-style Intel CPU to OS sales structures. If you look at how the broad technology products are converging, most PC functions are too complex and too messy compared to hardware based functions. For instance, the new Epson LCD monitors have photo memory chip interfaces, picture printers and R/W cd/roms built into the TV. All you need is power and the remote control to print a decent 5X7 photo. It may not be a perfect Adobe Photoshop version but for most people it's perfect. Very easy and simple to use and maintain. It's a pretty simple jump from there to other functions as well. An XBox or PS2 is fairly equivalent to lowend PCs right now and it wouldn't be too difficult to build some that have printer interfaces. These systems boot up in a matter of seconds and have plenty of processing power; there's no reason to disbelieve that a given manufacturer who's not deeply invested in the PC market couldn't come out with a strong e-Machine like unit that could do most PC functions cheaply and be as reliable and as simple as an Xbox. And that would include simple apps like word processing and spreadsheets.

Comment

Working...
      X