Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Easy-to-Read Column. Really.

** This thread discusses the article: An Easy-to-Read Column. Really. **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: An Easy-to-Read Column. Really. **

An Easy-to-Read Column. Really.

Funny! The same people who write the help text are the programmers too, so the help really isn't much better anyway. Yes, I too find it amusing that all those manuals exist but it's a little more insidious than that. Take anything relatively easy to comprehend and you'll have a large number of books written about it, regurgitating the manual itself. Guess how many java books there are, then guess how many good java programmers there are that even have a clue what OO is much less use it? So who's writing them, someone who wants to say they wrote a book. Who's reading them, almost no one (buying yes). In my entire career I have probably only purchased a handful of so-called "computer" books. And without exception, almost all have been huge disappointments, as in I'm still better off figuring it out myself anyway (like you said). Fact is, there is some strange comfort to technologists in having their bookshelves lined with manuals and books they never really use, and attend training classes that they get "certificates" for. The whole technology biz is rife with those that can neither write intelligibly nor design a system. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. If you can't put thoughts together that make any sense, how can you expect to design anything worthwhile. It's just the money game in case you haven't figured it out yet which of course, thanks to MS and SUN we’ve got all these so-called technology “professionals” writing all this code that no one has a clue to what business purpose it really serves. But the businesses are themselves to blame, if MS can sell the same thing repeatedly to the same companies and continue to profit then whose fault is that? As I write this I sit outside of the CIO’s office of a government agency. As a high-priced consultant I am privy to the inner workings of the agencies gossip. I constantly hear, “do you know how much we pay per desktop for support - $3,500 a year!”. As a technologist, it’s appalling to have to have a team (8) of help desk personnel support a small agency (300 max), and as a taxpayer I know I’m getting ripped off. So it’s a whole lot worse than “Johnny can code but can’t write syndrome”. Good read. LOL!

Comment

I'm glad that you enjoyed the article. Thanks for the compliment. My complaint isn't against all computer books. Far from it. Some of the underlying tech stuff that techies use is complicated and has to be just by its very nature. The cost of making it simple, both in terms of development costs and the performance sacrifices that would almost certainly have to be made in the product in order to make it more intuitive, would likely be excessive. That's why the techies get the big bucks to use this stuff. That's cheaper than developing tools and technologies that anybody can use. In my programming days, I waded through more than enough programming, database and other manuals. It was no fun, but a manual is not a tutorial, nor should it be. A manual is a reference that you can go do to look up the details of the internals of technology that you are struggling to use. If you don't yet understand the fundamental concepts or even know what types of features and functions that the technology offers, a good tutorial or hints book can be exceptionally valuable. Technologies change rapidly enough that even the most hard core techies cannot be expected to keep up without a little help. Once the techies figure out the underlying technologies, they are then supposed to take those complex tools and technologies and use them to turn out stuff for end-users that is easy-to-use. My complaint is about the endless rows of books that are needed to explain end-user technologies that have been heavily touted as "easy-to-use" and intuitive.

Comment

The manual is good enough for me and has always eclipsed any computer book, IMHO. The books, be it Java in 24 hours, or Windows for Dummies tries to simplify what are inherently complex subjects for non-techies. My point was that from a techie perspective the books tend to be useless regurgitations (there are exceptions of course) and worse written by the very people that have caused the majority of the books to be written in the first place. But I disagree on the point "That's cheaper than developing tools and technologies that anybody can use". The cost is extremely high to not only tech firms but the public at large on the misuse of, incomprehensible nature of and altogether wasted technologies all in the name of profit at all costs. My 4 remotes (Manufacturers TV,DVD,VCR and "Universal") and my wife's incredibly complex cell-phone which she uses only to dial and receive calls and have someone else change ring-tones for her are testaments to that philosophy. On the contrary, computer technology is complex for computer technology’s sake and not too long ago ceased to be helpful or useful to the user. If the technology industry wants to war within itself and create chaos for the public and users then let’s at least be honest and not blame complex technologies for that. The reason technology tends to be complex in this golden age are that companies keep re-inventing the same thing albeit with a slight twist to profit and lock competitors out. How many computer languages are really necessary and how many do you need to create an internet application? It’s absurd that a programmer needs to know HTML, Javascript, servlet programming concepts, Struts, MVC philosophies, Java, SQL and the latest flavor IDE to put it all together to produce a simple web application. The automotive industry long ago agreed or was forced to standards but the market thrives and I as a consumer know how to drive any car on the road, a very complicated piece of equipment in anyone’s book. That’s just not the case with technology. Sorry to disagree but we are to blame for this mess (not complexity) and that was my point. There will never be “easy-to-use” anything in this game unless standards are enforced. Maybe I’m over-simplifying “complex” but creating a web-application should be akin to changing the tires on your car, not building the carburetor. Just how many books do you see on how to drive a car? Arguably more complex than any computer. It can be that easy.

Comment

Joel, I think this is why there really need to be two kinds of books: reference manuals and tutorials. Unfortunately, in this age of increasingly complex and feature-laden software, the easiest book to write is the reference manual, wherein you go through every menu option and every widget on every screen. Yes, like context-sensitive help these serve a purpose but as you point out, if you can't get to the context, you can't get the help. Similarly with a reference manual, you can't get much help until you know what you're looking for. For example, take an RPG programmer trying to learn Eclipse. Without SOME initial help, it's like being put in a dark room and told to find your way. It would be a LOT easier to do if someone showed you where the light switch was. That's the job that tutorial books take on. Tutorial books are harder to design, but easier to read and more helpful to the beginners. I don't mean the Dummy books; as you say, they tend to dumb down the subject rather than impart knowledge. I mean books like my Step by Step books, where you are walked through an entire, cohesive example from beginning to end. With a book like this, evem a complete novice can learn how to drive the car without having to worry about how an electronic ignition works. And now that you've actually gotten something to work, you know which screens do what, and you can start to explore the more sophisticated nook and crannies of the product. Yeah, I'm certainly a bit biased - Eclipse: Step by Step and the upcoming WDSC: Step by Step (both from MCPress, by the way!) are my babies, and I like to think they're well written books. But I really do think that they serve a purpose: to get programmers in the door of Eclipse and Java and WDSC and to show them how to turn on the light switch. Joe

Comment

how many books do you see on how to drive a car?
            You got me curious so I went to barnesandnoble.com. Actually, they have 631 titles listed in the "Transportation>Automobiles>Driving & Driver's Education" category.
            My 4 remotes (Manufacturers TV,DVD,VCR and "Universal") and my wife's incredibly complex cell-phone which she uses only to dial and receive calls and have someone else change ring-tones for her are testaments to that philosophy.
            Yes, but the remotes and cell phone are end-user products. I absolutely agree with you there -- they should be simple for most people, but they typically are not. That was one of the points of my article. Java, RPG, etc. probably can't be simple for the average person and even the experienced programmer just getting started on a new technology platform may benefit from a helpful book that provides hints, "gotchas" and tutorials that are not the normal fare of a manual. If you don't need the books, more power to you.

Comment

Joe: I absolutely agree with you. Keep up the book writing. While I don't do programming any more, I have found that sort of book to be valuable in the past. Joel

Comment

cdr5000 said:
                I have a real hot point when it comes to software documentation being supplied totally as pdf files. Vendors should be able to at least provide a QuickStart Guide on paper ..
                What if there were two vendors, "A" and "B". "A" offers its software for $500 with only PDF documentation files, but will sell you printed copies for $25. "B" sells its software (essentially the same product as "A") for $525, including both PDF and printed documentation. If you want printed documentation, "A" and "B"'s offers are identical. However, I would consider "A" to have the better offer because I can save $25 if I decide that PDF files will suffice.

Comment

Working...
                X