COMMON Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COMMON Questions

If I've come across as beligerent, well, that was not my intentsion. I didn't want this to turn into a Canada vs America debate, which can never be resolved to anyones satisfaction. Instead, I'd use the word "challenging". The subject of this discussion is "Toronto", which is a subject I am passionate about. The point I've been trying (perhaps unsuccessfully) to get across is that there are two images of the city: The stereotype image projected by the tourist office (like the Eaton Centre, CN tower, Casa Loma, Mounties, etc.), and the "real" city (Kensington Market, Parkdale, High Park, Honest Eds, etc.). The reality is much more interesting than the preconceptions and expectations of many visitors. Many visitors are certainly quuite happy to have their preconceptions met, but in my opinion they're not getting the full picture. But then again, maybe you have to live here a few years to really appreciate it. q

COMMON Questions

qm said:
    The point I've been trying (perhaps unsuccessfully) to get across is that there are two images of the city: The stereotype image projected by the tourist office (like the Eaton Centre, CN tower, Casa Loma, Mounties, etc.), and the "real" city (Kensington Market, Parkdale, High Park, Honest Eds, etc.). The reality is much more interesting than the preconceptions and expectations of many visitors.
    First of all, thanks for clarifying the intent of your posts. I totally agree with your analysis of the picture postcard view of Toronto versus its reality, but that is true of most or probably all cities. La Tour Eiffel is not representative of the day-to-day lives of Parisians. Buckingham Palace is not representative of the day-to-day lives of Londoners. The Empire State Building is not representative of the day-to-day lives of New Yorkers. The Golden Gate Bridge is not representative of the day-to-day lives of San Franciscans ... However, over-hyped tourist attractions are inevitable. As tourists we spend only a short time in another place. If we want to be impressed by where we are, we have little choice but to make do with those things that possess an instant "wow factor". Becoming impressed with day-to-day reality takes a lot longer than most of us can afford to spend as a tourist.

Comment

COMMON Questions

You are not well informed. Either are these guys, I guess: http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...9/140321.shtml I don't care how you spin it, Fox ain't allowed but Al-J is. I also made a little [grin] in case you missed how silly I think the whole thing is. 'Nuff said. I love Canada, especially Terrence and Philip. [GRIN] Joe

Comment

COMMON Questions

qm said: "you would be well advised to leave your "BUSH-CHENEY" campaign buttons at home. " Gee, and I always had this crazy idea that Canadians were tolerent people. Thanks for straigntening me out! qm said: "You also may not want to read certain Toronto newspapers, lest you learn something about the world." So you naively believe that you've found a newspaper that doesn't have an agenda? At lease here in the states we actually know the liberal bias of our newspapers. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

COMMON Questions

qm said: "The point I've been trying (perhaps unsuccessfully) to get across is that there are two images of the city: The stereotype image projected by the tourist office. The reality is much more interesting than the preconceptions and expectations of many visitors." Have you never travelled? You can replace Toronto, in your above quote, with almost any city in the world and that'd be true. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

COMMON Questions

Might as well add my two (2) cents to the "grammar discussion". I won't touch the political/cultural part, because I'm too opinionated and would probably end up, will-he nill-he, being rude also. My favorite grammar no-no is using "loan" as a verb. If you are rich, perhaps you would want to "lend" me money, but if you offered to "loan" me money, I would NOT accept, because it's not grammatical or possible! A noun cannot be a verb (except in Chinese). I am an ex-programmer (hopefully the "ex" is temporary) who am now a Medical Transcriptionist. One of our nurses insisted on using "loaned" rather than "lent" on one of our reports. I spelled it out for her in some detail. So, now I probably have a nurse who hates me! Another one that drives me nuts (and it's very common) is confusing "it's" with "its". The apostrophe denotes (in this context) a contraction; so you say "it's all good" = it is good, but NOT "it's hair" when talking about the hair of the dog ("its hair" is correct). Even IBM gets this wrong occasionally! And what is really, really, really awful is people who use the apostrophe to denote a plural, as in: "Employee's only". Made me want to ask, "employee's only WHAT, please!". That is an actual sign I saw in rural Kansas (and you Kansans, don't be offended because I are one too). Final thought: You don't even have to speak English to be a successful U.S. programmer, these days. Nor do you even have to live here (almost wrote "have to even live here", which would have elicited shots for the split infinitive!). I guess that is why I'm in MT ... what we do requires r e a l l y excellent English skills.

Comment

COMMON Questions

One way to make enemies is to correct a person's use of the English language. That doesn't change the way a person's use of the English language affects me! I here things fairly common, and I am affected the same way that one would be affected by the use of long nails against the blackboard. Here are three glaring examples: You Welcome - It's "You're Welcome" I know it is easier to say "You" than "You're" but it's taking laziness to new levels. Did you want this, or no? - It's or not. Did Shakespeare write "To be or no to be?" Does Ripley have a "Believe it or no" Museum? Would it really really hurt to say "or not?" humoungous - This non-word is so pervasive, it has actually made it into some dictionaries. I'm not going anywhere near Where you at? Dave

Comment

COMMON Questions

Richard said: "but NOT "it's hair" when talking about the hair of the dog ("its hair" is correct)." Anytime "it" is use to show posession it should include an apostrophe. Posession should always be contracted. So, by those rules, when talking about a dog's hair (notice how the word dog's is possesive and should have an apostrophe) then one would also refer to it as it's hair. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

COMMON Questions

Anytime "it" is use to show posession it should include an apostrophe. Posession should always be contracted. Apostrophes should not be used with possessive pronouns because possessive pronouns already show possession -- they don't need an apostrophe. His, her, its, my, yours, ours are all possessive pronouns. i.e. we do not write "his' hair" Check out Dictionary.com Usage Note: Its is the possessive form of the pronoun it and is correctly written without an apostrophe. It should not be confused with the contraction it's (for it is or it has), which should always have an apostrophe.

Comment

COMMON Questions

If the use of a possessive pronoun already show possession, as stated, then we're really into the heart of RPG coding techniques, and we're actually talking about programming after all. ?HUH? Simple If/then/else statement. If you are spelling the sentence as "Its hair was black." then obviously you have been appropriately educated at a higher institution. If you are spelling the sentence as "It's black, that darn hair!" then you are perfectly correct, but are from the planet of Tatooine, are about two feet tall, carry a walking stick, and teach Jedi how to use the programming sytax of The Force. Else, spelling the sentence "IT's hair is black" means that everyone on your staff has black hair.

Comment

COMMON Questions

Here you're 100% completely wrong, Chuck. "Its" is the correct spelling of the posessive form of "it". There's no opinion involved, no way you can spin it, you just got this one wrong. I'll be interested to see whether you can actually admit it! So far, I don't ever once recall you admitting a mistake. Could this be the first time? Trust me, once you do it once, it gets easier. Heck, I admit I'm wrong all the time now . Joe

Comment

COMMON Questions

Uh, Joe? I think you stepped into it this time. His example says that "It's hair is black" is incorrect, UNLESS you interpret it to mean IT as in Information Technology. So then, "IT's hair is black" CAN be right if you are refering to IT as a noun. Hehe. He's a tricky little bugger, ain't he? (Like that grammer?) -dan

Comment

COMMON Questions

Joe said: "Here you're 100% completely wrong, Chuck." It's possible that I'm wrong but you think I'd belive you guys? ;-) But I can definately remember the rules laid out by Sister Mary in elementary school. So, if I am wrong then I blame it the educational system of the archdiocese of Cincinnati. Joe added: "I'll be interested to see whether you can actually admit it!" Why is that so important to you? It's not important to me. ;-) chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

COMMON Questions

Next thing you know, you'll be debating the correct grammar for Things that belong to Cousin It...... (It's Thing, Its Thing, Its' Thing) What have you guys been Smoking ?? And why aren't you sharing with the rest of us ?? BTW: Joel, qm, I hear this is Legal (or decriminalized) in Canada. Izzat True ?? Could explain some of the previous postings we've seen in this thread. Either that or one too many slap-shots to the old noggin. Go Maple Leafs !! (But shouldn't it really be "Go Maple Leaves" ??) Mike

Comment

COMMON Questions

Joe, I thought you were responding to Thomas Stockwell. My bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X