Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux: How Important Is It to the IBM i5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux: How Important Is It to the IBM i5?

** This thread discusses the article: Linux: How Important Is It to the IBM i5? **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Linux: How Important Is It to the IBM i5? **

Linux: How Important Is It to the IBM i5?

** This thread discusses the article: Linux: How Important Is It to the IBM i5? **
    Regarding your statement: "The cost of developing any proprietary application for any operating system will always proportionally expand to consume as many resources and as much money as are available to purchase it." If this were the case, only one project on each computer would ever be started and never finished. I seriously doubt that management would ever accept this as a norm. I believe that the only hope for the iSeries is that Linux ERP software either replace or enhance current ERP packages and they be written in COBOL. Why? Because it is still the best programming language for business that crosses all hardware platforms. (I am primarily an RPG programmer with COBOL skills.) Problem is, this will not happen because IBM has dropped the ball and not put its hardware into colleges and universities (They should give it to them.). Students, who are the future leaders, don't see what the iSeries offers. They only see Unix, Linux, or Windows. The programming languages of choice seem to be Java, C++, C#, and/or VB (based on current job postings). Linux is important to the i5/OS because it is the last hope to bring those who are trained with current demands into the iSeries fold with its obvious TCO features. Problem is, these are only obvious to those of us who use it. There is no hope. Give it up and sell sizzle to fools in any medium you can. This formerly fun(?) filled journey is at an end. It has been left in the hands of fools.

Comment

Working...
    X