• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technology Slaves

** This thread discusses the article: Technology Slaves **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Technology Slaves **

Technology Slaves

You think you are a revolutionary -- listen to this. I would like to see the world thrown back 50 years (maybe further) in an instant. Quit technology cold turkey! That is how you stop addictions most effectively. I believe that if we could survive the initial shock, we would be much better off in the long run. We would actually have to work (by the sweat of our brow). Neighbors would be more a part of our lives, family would be more important, and we would be more in touch with the real God (not technology)! Am I being a bit dramatic? If so, sorry. But the whole subject of technology is more about marketing, than function. I really do like technology (I am a programmer/analyst), but sometimes I do long for the good old days! dls

Comment

Technology Slaves

dls said:
      I would like to see the world thrown back 50 years (maybe further) in an instant.
      I know that I rant a lot, but I haven't been a programmer/analyst for more than 15 years. I don't think that there were a lot of programmer/analyst jobs around 50 years ago. People worry about the effects of offshoring, a 50 year backward time machine would certainly destroy a lot more P/A jobs than that. As they say, be careful what you wish for ... you just might get it. Joel

Comment

Technology Slaves

I know this is off topic, but this post brings to mind a thought I sometimes have. "What would I have been if I had lived 50, 100 or 150 years ago?" I suspect 50 years ago I might have been a mechanic. 150 years ago, I might have been a blacksmith. I am not too sure about 100 years ago.... What about the rest of you? Joe

Comment

Technology Slaves

Joe said: ""What would I have been if I had lived 50, 100 or 150 years ago?" Funny, I've NEVER had that thought. I've always thought, "Gee, I wish I had been born 50 years later so I could see where technology would be." Then I think back at the computer revolution I've witnessed that my kids take for granted and immediately drop the thought. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Technology Slaves

I sometimes think it would be good to live back in a time when every action had a direct relation to your well-being. Hunting, farming, canning vegatables, building a hut... But only as a passing thought. All-in-all I don't think there has ever been as exciting time in history as today. Who knows about tomorrow. It'd be cool to see, but I think living right now is still the times the future will look back on as the pioneer days. My Grandmother may have had it best. She lived from horse and buggy to computers. That is mind boggling.

Comment

Technology Slaves

Joe said:
              I would like to see the world thrown back 50 years (maybe further) in an instant.
              150 years ago I would have been writing tirades about those noisy, smelly railroads that were now invading our communities. 100 years ago I would have been writing tirades about how the automobile was making life hell for pedestrians and how the wireless radio was going to ruin personal communications. 50 years ago I would have been wailing and hollering about how my mother wasn't feeding me enough. Oh wait ... I WAS doing that.

Comment

Technology Slaves

the more we own - the more it owns us! You think you are a revolutionary -- listen to this. I would like to see the world thrown back 50 years (maybe further) in an instant. Quit technology cold turkey! That is how you stop addictions most effectively. I believe that if we could survive the initial shock, we would be much better off in the long run. We would actually have to work (by the sweat of our brow). Neighbors would be more a part of our lives, family would be more important, and we would be more in touch with the real God (not technology)! Am I being a bit dramatic? If so, sorry. But the whole subject of technology is more about marketing, than function. I really do like technology (I am a programmer/analyst), but sometimes I do long for the good old days! dls What specifically enslaves you now that would not enslave you in 1954? Most current technology existed then in more primitive, expensive forms. Are your enslaving technology thoughts based primarily on that now found in the home, PC's, video games, and such? If so, why do such things enslave you? If you go back further even twenty more years, you become an agricultural slave. Transportation was rare and expensive. People were rural and homebound. Prepare yourself. The oil shock is coming. We will return to the past more than you can imagine. rd

Comment

Technology Slaves

I believe that technology has freed me to do many things I couldn't. While it's true that I depend upon technology and feel lost without it, when it's working the way it is expected to work (which is almost always) I can do more than ever. I'll never look back. It only reminds me how tedious life was. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Technology Slaves

Right on Chuck. I too think about the past, always a romantic thought, until I calculate how many times I would have perished and never reached the mid century mark. People were always slaves to some process, with just enough time left for a brew and a little procreation. Now, the enslavers are brought into our lives by choice, not by necessity. I constantly reminded my children as I rasised them, that not too many years in the past they would have been really slaving from daylight to dusk, instead of complaining about nothing to do or why don't you buy me this. Make the right choices.

Comment

Technology Slaves

I can't let this go by. Technology is important, and can lead to greater productivity. . . .But does it?? As I go down the aisles of the supermarket, about every fifth shopper is on the phone talking away, and ignoring the fact that there may be other people on the planet. I have to wonder if the advent of the cell phone has made any of these individuals better shoppers. It certainly has not made them better drivers. Are so many conversations really necessary? Has the quantity of cell phone use been justified by the quality of communication? What did these people do before cell phones? My client began a new technology initiative last year. About 3/4 of a million dollars was spent on a system that essentially reinvented the wheel, and actually made it more difficult to get data into the base system. When the sales figures were analyzed, it turns out that just as many items were sold last year as five years ago. The ATM on the other hand has personally saved me countless hours of standing on line doing nothing. It has created a banking convenience unmatched by any other tool. My point (and I do have one) is that technology advances can be qualified and quantified by productivity gains or losses. If the reading and sending of email loses n number of man-hours per year; If internet transactions produce no gains in sales, and a loss of margin; If one programming language shows no appreciable gain in either productivity or performance over another programming language; If a Kandinsky can not be as appreciated or enjoyed as much as a Renoir, , , , , , , , , , , , Some reevaluations should be in the works. The situation thought, is that once a technology is in place, it is almost never replaced or taken away because of counterproductivity. Technology tends to be Fad-like, and may be replaced by a new trend. But as I pay the mechanic a gazillion dollars for replacing a bad computerized sensor inside my transmission (The transmission was fine, the sensor needed replacing), I can't help thinking: How did I ever get along without it? Dave

Comment

Technology Slaves

WOW !! 1.) How many digits to the left of the Decimal point are in a Gazillion? 2.) How many significant digits are dropped when calculating a number that big with a computer using an Intel chip? 3.) I'll bet that if you adjust for inflation, that Gazillion dollars is really equivalent to only about skaty-eight-Billion 1968 dollars. Feel Better now?

Comment

Technology Slaves

Mikejsavino asked:1.) How many digits to the left of the Decimal point are in a Gazillion? Precisely eleventeen. 2.) How many significant digits are dropped when calculating a number that big with a computer using an Intel chip? An Intel Chip produces "fault" errors when calculating in the gazillions. The proper "chip" to use for the correct tolerances is "cow". 3.) I'll bet that if you adjust for inflation, that Gazillion dollars is really equivalent to only about skaty-eight-Billion 1968 dollars. In 1968 the price of a NYC subway token, and the price of a slice of pizza were both raised to 20 cents from 15 cents. They both now stand at $2.00. I'll take that bet. Feel Better now? Naaaaaaaah. Dave

Comment

Working...
                          X