• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing at Life

** This thread discusses the article: Playing at Life **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Playing at Life **

Playing at Life

Joel said: 'complete freedom, democracy, and justice'. I'd like to know how an educated man can put those words together in any context? Ok, so let's get your mother out on the field and have a little wardrobe malfunction.

Comment

Playing at Life

Someone who was afraid to provide his or her name said:
      Joel said: 'complete freedom, democracy, and justice'. I'd like to know how an educated man can put those words together in any context?
      I said, obviously jokingly, that I wanted 'complete freedom, democracy, and justice' to be the objective of a video game. Do you have a problem with complete freedom, democracy and/or justice. I think that they are all very noble objectives. I like to dream every once in a while and shoot for noble objectives, even if I don't think they are fully achievable under the current circumstances. Anonymous also said:
      Ok, so let's get your mother out on the field and have a little wardrobe malfunction.
      If you bothered to read the article you would know that I did not say that I was or was not a proponent of wardrobe malfunctions, just that when you are making up a list of evil things, I think that a wardrobe malfunction should rank well down on the list compared to some other things that people complain about less. And there is a question of consent here. My mother would never consent to be in a half-time show, let alone consent to have a wardrobe malfunction. Janet Jackson certainly consented to the first and there is some debate as to whether she consented to the second or it was an accident. Also, in the future I would thank you to leave my mother out of this. I read your forum posting after coming back from visiting her in the hospital, so if my response is more hostile than I have been in the past, that's why.

Comment

Playing at Life

How come comments like these never have a name attached? Dave

Comment

Playing at Life

Come on Joel, these sicko do not deserve a response just like Janet did not deserve all the reaction. Get back in your usual good mood for we all enjoy your humor. Please dont lose it. As for Edmonton, let me add to your knowledge about it. First, it is the home town of Barbara Morris the RPG compiler chief who now lives in your city. Second it is the hometown of Mr. Ebber who was a school teacher there before becoming chief of Worldcom and finally landed in jail. Third, it is the hometown of Mr. Peter Pocklington aka Puck who was once a proud owner of Oilers and Esks in the day when they were the champions of Stanley Cup and Grey Cup respectively. He declared himself the next Prime Minister of Canada in the heat of victory speech but alas! He decided to sell Oilers to the Americans and became Edmonton public enemy #1. All three have moved out of Edmonton. While Barbara remembers Edmonton fondly, look where she ended up! Ebber and Puck thought ill of Edmonton and look where they ended up! lol. So beware before speaking ill of Edmonton. It has a curse attached to it. By the way Edmonton is also the only "Liberal" pocket in the Prairies with two members of parliament Anne McCallen and David Kilgour. I have heard that one of them i.e. David (from my town of Milwoods) have left Liberals. Anne is the minister so she will stay for a while. The way the mention of Quebec being one of the 10 provinces would depress Mr. Duceppe of PQ, I bet mention of Alberta as one of the 10 province will also depress Mr. Harper of the Conservative party. LOL. Hope this little effort of mine brought you back in your spirits. Hassan

Comment

Playing at Life

Hi Hassan, Thanks for the info on Edmonton. By the way, David Kilgour is now an independent who is trying to blackmail the government into providing more aid and troops to Darfur. He's threatening to vote against the government on a confidence motion if he doesn't get what he wants. The government needs his vote to survive. Even if the government gives him what he wants, the balance is so fine and the atmosphere so acrimonious in Parliament that I think that the government will likely fall next week or, if not then, within the next few weeks. You're probably right about Mr. Harper and his feelings about Alberta being a province. I once saw him referred to as "Firewall Harper" for his previous musings about erecting a firewall around Alberta. I wonder what he'll do if becomes Prime Minister, as I suspect (fear?) will happen if there is a new election in the coming weeks. Thanks also for your kind words. Yes, your words have lifted my spirits. I was a little down because of some personal stuff when I read the original posting. If you think that my response was down, you should have seen what was going through my head, which I self-edited before posting my response. Because of some other things going on, there are a number of my columns already written and awaiting publication, so you won't see my current (more than normal) down mood reflected in any of them. I'll be back to my old self soon enough so as to not affect my new columns. Thanks again for your concern.

Comment

Playing at Life

Even in a dream, democracy can never equal complete freedom, even in a dream justice and complete freedom .... I wish your mother the best, and I would never wish or allow any female member of my family to participate in such a planned event of such deficeit moral value. That being said, I would never and was not putting your mother out there. I was just pointing out if it is of such light value in the scheme of things surely it must be okay for female members of your family, or is it just light when its someone elses'. If you have a dream, please identify it as such, I thought these were your beliefs.

Comment

Playing at Life

democracy, justice, freedom, and wardrobe malfunctions, should always be accompanied by... Responsibility

Comment

Playing at Life

Complete freedom....only one membership allowed in any society...like sadamm, adolph...

Comment

Playing at Life

Anominity allowed for only sourcing of journalists, not for replies...then please no more scaredy cat sources...please triple source and footnote please...

Comment

Playing at Life

ctibodoe said:
                      If you have a dream, please identify it as such, I thought these were your beliefs.
                      In the article, I didn't say it was part of a dream, but I did propose it simply as an objective of a video game, as an alternative to some of the more violent video games out there now. To be honest I never expected that line to be taken quite as seriously as you seem to be taking it, particularly considering the description of this hypothetical game also proposed that
                      "You'd get extra points if, during your bloodless revolution, you also improved the food, service, décor, and prices at local restaurants. There'd be more points if you, through talk alone, convinced local taxi drivers to obey traffic laws and drive safely. (I'd personally like to invite anyone who reaches that level in the game to come and visit Toronto. We need you.)"
                      ctibodoe said:
                      Even in a dream, democracy can never equal complete freedom, even in a dream justice and complete freedom ....
                      I'll agree with you that in the real world democracy cannot equal freedom cannot equal justice. In a democratic and just society, we are not, for example, free to murder somebody simply because we don't like him or her. But in an ideal world, the world of a video game perhaps, it is possible to conceive of a fictional society where everyone's brain is wired such that he or she would never conceive of doing anything unjust. In such a fictional world there could be total freedom parallel with justice and democracy. Obviously it's not possible in our real world. You are definitely right there. ctibodoe said:
                      I was just pointing out if it is of such light value in the scheme of things surely it must be okay for female members of your family, or is it just light when its someone elses'.
                      I get back to something that I said in an earlier post (although it appears below rather than above because I accidently submitted it as a new post rather than a reply). It comes down to a matter of consent. My nature is such that if a member of my family had an intentional "wardrobe malfunction" in public it would make me feel very uncomfortable, but I also think that if she did it knowingly, intentionally and in a jurisdiction where it is legal, then my discomfort would be my problem, not theirs and I should not try to impose my views on them. I hadn't intended to get into my views on the specific Super Bowl incident because I don't think my views are important and because, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think that the incident was particularly important (my point in the article). But since someone will probably bring it up here, let me preempt the question. My understanding is the Janet Jackson claimed that the incident was unintentional. I have never met Janet Jackson, I am reasonably confident that I never will meet her, I am not a fan, nor did I see that Super Bowl half time show so I have no basis to judge the veracity of her claim. If she is telling the truth then it is an accident that happened and I think that everybody should have gotten over it much faster than they did. I seriously doubt that a single person's life was seriously harmed by the sight of Jackson's breast. But some people's lives were definitely shattered by the sick person I talked about in the article who decided to mimic the action in Grand Theft Auto and kill a few people. My point was and is that of the two, I think that we should spend more time being appalled by the latter rather than the former. If--IF--the "wardrobe malfunction" was intentional then I think that it was wrong, but not because I think that a female breast or its public display is evil or depraved. I think that it was wrong because Jackson had to know that a lot of people would object. Since the display of a female breast in such a situation was very much the exception, not the rule, those objectors had no reason to expect that there would be a public display of her breast, so they had no opportunity to avoid the sight that they object to. They did not have a "viewer discretion advised" warning that would have allowed them to boycott the Super Bowl, look away during the half time show, or keep their children away from it if they found the display objectionable. That is what I think is wrong--assuming of course that the "wardrobe malfunction" was indeed intentional.

Comment

Playing at Life

Good point. I thought this form required registration. What has happened here? chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "David Abramowitz" wrote in message news:6b24f3ba.2@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > How come comments like these never have a name attached? > > Dave

Comment

Playing at Life

IIRC, it's a bug related to article discussions and the first post. Doesn't happen always, just seemingly at key moments.

Comment

Playing at Life

Well Joel, you prophecy failed. The government did not fall as you might have known by now. In a drama I would hear on "E" channel news, billionairess Belinda Stronach dumped her boy friend and deputy opposition leader Peter McCay and his party, and joined the govt. Ouch! It hurts to wake up one morning and find your girl friend gone and with it the chances of forming a government. lol. In a second drama, sister Carolyn Parrish from my new hometown of Mississauga, went to vote from hospital saying, "Come hell or high water, I will not allow one ovary to let the government fall". She was kicked out of Liberal party for her strong views against Bush. How would she allow her ovary problem to let a pro-Bush government to be formed. lol. No matter what happens within next weeks, it is good news for all bachelors (and now wannabe bachelors) that the 39 year old richest woman of the world is available once more!

Comment

Playing at Life

Yes Hassan, I was wrong. The show at the Canadian parliament is turning into a real melodrama. It could be a competitive threat for the daytime soap operas. Imagine the survival of the government coming down to a tie on a confidence motion that had to be decided in the government's favour (talking about Canadian politics I'll use the queen's English spelling of "favour") by the Speaker of the House. Who would have thought that Belinda Stronach would cross the floor just days before the vote? Apparently not her Conservative MP boyfriend. As you suggest, I doubt that relationship can survive. Hmmm... a 39 year old incredibly rich single woman. I'm a bachelor. When Ms. Stronach is not in Ottawa, she lives just north of Toronto. I usually don't like to leave the city, but I could make an exception. I'm probably too old for her, but she's not too young for me -- life's little asymmetries are cruel when you're on the wrong end of things. Do you have her number?

Comment

Working...
                              X