• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blog Yourself

** This thread discusses the article: Blog Yourself **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Blog Yourself **

Blog Yourself

Blogs, like most things on the Internet, sink or swim by virtue of their merits. Sure, there are tons of bad blogs out there - just like there are tons of bad magazines and newsletters. The bad magazines and newsletters go out of business because nobody reads them. Same thing with blogs - poorly written or uncharismatic ones fall by the wayside, no one reads them, no one links to them. If you don't like a popular blog, consider it a matter of taste. Quality blogs, whether they are entertaining or informative, catch on because a lot of people read them and link to them. Look at the success of gawker.com; while arguably "personsal," it has a definite style and appeals to a certain demographic. Blogs are one of the most democratic institutions on the 'net. Anybody can take up the (virtual) pen and test his or her mettle in the arena of public opinion. Keep in mind that many respected, established magazines with those big, tough editors were started by one self-publishing individual with something to say (or show, in the case of Hugh Hefner). As far as telling good blogs from bad goes; just like many areas of the Internet, hyperlinks provide the context. If you find a blog that you enjoy and trust, check out the blogs that that blog links to. It's the networked nature of the Internet, and birds of a feather flock together. In some ways, faulting blogs is faulting the entire Internet by proxy - sure, anyone can put up a blog, but anyone can put up a website too. Eventually people figured out how to separate the wheat from the chaff on the Internet. Well, some didn't, but they're also the people who belive everything that comes out of that box with the vacuum tube in their living room....

Comment

Blog Yourself

The unnamed person above said:
      sure, anyone can put up a blog, but anyone can put up a website too.
      You are absolutely right ... anyone CAN put up a Web site. Hmmm. Sounds like I may have a topic for a future tirade. I'll have to think about that. Thanks.
      people who belive everything that comes out of that box with the vacuum tube in their living room....
      I guess that explains Fox News. (No, we don't get it here in Canada. But, yes, I have seen it during my U.S. visits and I have to say that I just don't get why anyone watches that crap. OK, let the flaming begin.)

Comment

Blog Yourself

At least I think that's the answer. But all seriousness aside, Ya mean you've got TV in Canada ?? WHOA !! I've gotta get out more. Now, what about the plumbing ?? And should I continue to send that $20/mo to my sponsored child in Ontario. In the pictures they send me, they make her family look so..... Gosh, I dunno.... LIBERAL, yeah that's it. Do you think that's just a ploy to get my money? Maybe they just dress them up in those Earth-Day T-shirts for the photo op. And what's with the currency up there? I'll concede that it's prettier than ours. But it's supposed to have pictures of dead white guys on it. You know... the Founding Fathers, Old Presidents or Prime Ministers or something. Money with pictures of live Monarchs is just not cool !! Personally, I'd like to see Margaret Trudeau and the Rolling Stones on the Canadian Dollar. Regards to Queen Elizabeth, Mike

Comment

Blog Yourself

Ya mean you've got TV in Canada ?
          What a low opinion you have of Canada. We've had TV for months now.
          Now, what about the plumbing ??
          We currently have a minority government which means that they will want to be especially nice to the electorate. I'm sure that we will be getting plumbing this decade.
          And should I continue to send that $20/mo to my sponsored child in Ontario.
          With the recent fall of the U.S. dollar against most currencies, including the Canadian dollar, your $20US doesn't go nearly as far as it used to. I'd increase it if I were you. And the name on the check, it's spelled K L E B A N O F F.
          Maybe they just dress them up in those Earth-Day T-shirts for the photo op.
          No, we're all required to wear those. It's a requirement under the Kyoto accord that Canada signed on to.
          But it's supposed to have pictures of dead white guys on it.
          Next time you're in Canada, check out the five dollar bill. The front has a picture of Wilfrid Laurier, a definitely dead, definitely white, definitely former Prime Minister. By the way, thanks for making me look in my wallet. The only thing there was a five dollar bill ... Time to hit a bank machine ... Before you say it, yes we do have bank machines up here.
          Regards to Queen Elizabeth,
          I'll be sure to pass along your regards to Liz the next time I see her.

Comment

Blog Yourself

More on
            But it's supposed to have pictures of dead white guys on it.
            I just went on to the Bank of Canada Web site to check out the bills that aren't currently represented in my wallet. The $10 has a picture of John A. Macdonald, our first Prime Minister. He was white and is still dead. The $100 has a picture of Robert Borden, another dead white Prime Minister. But, yes the $20 does have a picture of our beloved, absentee queen. We haven't had any paper bills below $5 for several years now, but our one and two dollar and smaller coins do have pictures of Liz on one side.

Comment

Blog Yourself

Dang, ran outta checks again! And my wife won't let me anywhere near her account (smart woman). But assissting our disadvantaged bretheren to the north is important to me. And since you've got Banks up there (lemme write this down.... Important Canadian Facts --> Banks and TV = Yes; Plumbing = No) Like I was saying, I'd be happy to transfer those funds directly to your account. So if you could just provide the routine info I'll send it right off. (You know.. Routing number, Account number, PIN, Federal ID, mothers maiden name and birth dates of all pets larger than a hamster, etc.) Send that Off-Line of coarse, because Your Privacy is Important to Us! And have a great weekend.... At least You've still got a Baseball Team. Go Yankees! Mike

Comment

Blog Yourself

So if you could just provide the routine info I'll send it right off.
                I was wondering who was behind all of those phishing expeditions that were showing up in my inbox.
                At least You've still got a Baseball Team.
                We have a baseball team? I'm going to have to pay more attention to the sporting news. When did that happen?
                And have a great weekend.
                Back at you.

Comment

Blog Yourself

Hi Joel, I always enjoy reading your rants. (that a compliment BTW) While I agree that the contents of the blog pipes is mostly effluent, the volume has spun-off some interesting "pipe-laying" tech. Just look at blogger.com and the like. Now even goldfish can afford to have their own website, and I don't doubt that some do. I use it myself to publish parts of my own site, and what I find especially useful it the fact that I can do this at any internet connection without the need to have web-building software technology in my personal posession. I think it's also a good way for the younger folk (the major contributors) to grapple with the technology, after all, it's bound to play a big role in their future. It also provides a semi-social aspect to an otherwise corporatised internet - esp. if your goldfish wanna read about mine... And yes, there is an about "me" section on my website, as there is with most corporate sites. Daz. PS: I don't really own any goldfish.

Comment

Blog Yourself

I always enjoy reading your rants.
                    Thanks! Thanks, very much. I heard that someone was reading them. I wondered who it was. I'm glad that you enjoy them. As to the rest of your post, sure, build up my hopes and then shoot them down with your P.S.
                    PS: I don't really own any goldfish.
                    I was looking forward to seeing what your goldfish had to say. It would probably be more entertaining and informative than some of the human-created stuff that I've found on the Internet.

Comment

Blog Yourself

I think you just need to think more about this - unless you are just fanning a flame war. We had forum for discussion (back in the Compuserve days if I remember). Blogs just open up the world of commentators. You think just because editors exist somehow "printed" content is superior. New York Times, anyone? Your article came to me via E-mail. I subscribe to RSS feeds to most of my online content now. Blogs are more immediate, timely and easier to access than e-mail, subscription sites and forums. Technology moves on -- keep up or get out of the way. I'll admit, it is harder to find online columnists that write as poorly and uninterestingly as bloggers, or have I just not gone out of my way to make an example of such?

Comment

Blog Yourself

New York Times, anyone?
                        Yes, please. Although, I have to admit that I subscribe to the e-mail summary edition rather than the print version.
                        I'll admit, it is harder to find online columnists that write as poorly and uninterestingly as bloggers, or have I just not gone out of my way to make an example of such?
                        Yes, and more convolutedly (sorry, I just made up that adverb) too.

Comment

Blog Yourself

Joel Said: "We have a baseball team? I'm going to have to pay more attention to the sporting news. When did that happen? " 1977 I think. You've probably just been very busy. You're from Toronto, Right? Home of the Blue Jays? I just went out to mlb.com.... Let's see here, Toronto: 67 wins, 94 losses, .416 Winning Pct, 33.5 games back.... Uhhhhh, Sorry. I'm beginning to see your point. Certainly don't want to rub it in.... with the Yankees being 2 games up in the ALCS and all that. Mike

Comment

Blog Yourself

The truth is that yes, I did know about our beloved Blue Jays. We won two World Series in a row a number of years back. It's just that I haven't been interested much in sports since the NHL expanded beyond the Original Six in the sixties. (I don't think that the Toronto Maple Leafs have won a Stanley Cup since then.) The last sporting event that I watched was the men's and women's Gold Medal hockey games in the 2002 Winter Olympics. But, as a Canadian, I was legally required to watch that.

Comment

Working...
                            X